03 corolla sportivo (WA)

Hey guys,

as of about 2 hours ago, i am the proud new owner of an 03 Corolla Sportivo! Pretty happy with my buy but have a few questions i'm hoping you can help me with.

First off, the car has been slightly modded with a TRD cold air intake and a 2.5 inch cat back exhaust. I'm pretty happy to keep it the way it is but hoping someone can suggest a way to quieten it a little? After driving an 06 Aurion ZR6 for 3 years i find myself a little annoyed with the extra noise! If not, how much would it cost to replace.... would anyone want to buyvthe old exhaust from it?

Secondly, the car only came with one key, do i have to buy through Toyota or is there another way?

she's done 140k with no service history and i will get RAC (WA) to do a full service with there conplete check but is there anything i should keep an eye on?

For those of you in WA, I bought the car from Simon, who used to frequent the website.... he says hi and the baby is doing well and they hope to move back to the ACT? soon.

thanks, nathan

post-7221-128104954026_thumb.jpg

Good to see that Simons car has been kept in these forums. Congrats. Good to hear him and Nell are well.

To quieten the exhaust get a larger resonator put on and maybe a larger size muffler if you still think that it's too loud. And in regards to the key yeah Toyota will have to be the way to go as it would need to be coded.

Any mods on the list?

I've had my stivo for more than 4 and a half years and I still love it :toast:

Grats on the purchase! Nice upgrade from an aurion :P

Should come with 2 sets of keys and an extra one (master key - grey colour) that has the serial code for the other 2 keys. This master key should be kept in a safe place just in case you need a new one made with immobiliser + keyless entry remote from car manufacturers.

I have seen signs at the Broadmeadows Shopping Centre's Mister Minit Locksmiths stating that they can cut car keys with remote+immobiliser transponders way cheaper than the price car manufacturer's charge.

I think it cost $400 from Toyota. Mister Minit maybe $250, but not sure. Ring and ask them - Mister Minit store locator.

As for toning down the noise from the exhaust, you will most likely need a bigger resonator, cat converter and muffler to remove most of the droning. Remus mufflers are pretty quiet imo.

So my new car wouldn't start on Sunday and the RAC call out guy couldn't get it going either!!! He said there was no spark and no injector pulse. Being a sunday the car got towed to the RAC service centre.

They rang me this afternoon and apparently their computer said it was the transponder in the key and they would need to get a replacement key through Toyota as i was only given one when i bought the car and without it .

Toyota has quoted me about 460 to replace the key.

Moral of the story, never buy a car with one key! I've owned the car since Thursday and it might end up costing me $1000 inb the first week!

2nd moral.... Get RAC!

The story conitinues and it gets worse....

Went in tuesday morning in the hope of fininding a finished car only to be told that the key wasn't at fault and they believed it to an issue with the module (that controls the immobilser) was at fault and was possibly a long term intermittent error.

They had contacted Toyota who had quoted 890 dollars to replace the part and around 1000 dollars labour. Naturally i freaked out and asked if there was any way around this. The RAC foreman told me he was going to take the dash out and have a look himself.

RAC rand me late Tuesday afternoon and advised me that the had found some dodgy wiring but were not willing to / or could not tell me how it was dodgy!!$#@%@Q#?????? they believe they had fixed the issue and that as they had already bought a replacement key (they believed that to be at fault originally) they would get the key encoded Wednesday and i could pick up the car Today.

After My last lecture today i called to ensure the car was ready and was dealt another blow. They had driven the car to Toyota to get the new key encoded and the car would not start again! Its now in the hands of Scarborough Toyota and i have no idea what is wrong with it or how many thousands it will cost me....

I'm super ****** and really angry at this... could it really just be a coincidence this happens after i've owned the car three days?

Was it a private sale or dealer bought? I'd be getting in contact with the seller if private and asking some serious questions. Obviously if dealer then you have a warranty

Grats on the purchase! Nice upgrade from an aurion :P

Should come with 2 sets of keys and an extra one (master key - grey colour) that has the serial code for the other 2 keys. This master key should be kept in a safe place just in case you need a new one made with immobiliser + keyless entry remote from car manufacturers.

I have seen signs at the Broadmeadows Shopping Centre's Mister Minit Locksmiths stating that they can cut car keys with remote+immobiliser transponders way cheaper than the price car manufacturer's charge.

I think it cost $400 from Toyota. Mister Minit maybe $250, but not sure. Ring and ask them - Mister Minit store locator.

As for toning down the noise from the exhaust, you will most likely need a bigger resonator, cat converter and muffler to remove most of the droning. Remus mufflers are pretty quiet imo.

lol BAD at this line *Nice upgrade from an aurion :P* hahah Toyota Autralia V Toyota South Africa? No brainer fellas - sorry!. ok so im now off to block my inbox so i dont get hate mail from the Rolla boys :P jokes fella's calm down.

but yes sad to hear your having a few teething problems with your new baby :( Hope it all works out in the end!

Edited by Adamsy

Congrats on the new car.

But thats unlucky that it came with problems too. Did they end up replacing the transponder ECU? Assuming they did cause you will have to take apart the dash to get to it.

Also for the exhaust i think i may know someone that might buy it depending on what brand exhaust.

Simo ain't a dodgy fella. To me it sounds like Toyota are shooting blindly in the dark to fix something they don't know what the cause is. If they can't show, or explain why something is 'dodgy' then it probably isn't and that's just a mechanics excuse.

When the car doesn't start does the starter relay click? Then it's probably the starter motor. Does nothing happen? Then it's probably the immobiliser freaking out from wrong key encode. Just because it's at Toyota it doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

thanks for the advice!

I didn't mean to suggest Simon was dodgy just super angry at my bad luck. Toyota have claimed that it was some faulty ground wires in relation to the clutch getting replaced in 2008. Ended up being a $1500 freak of nature exercise for me! Good news is that cost includes a spare key!

Have also recommended that i replace the rear pads and drums, should i go toyota genuiune or aftermarket?

Lunjiaow, you mentioned you might have a suggestion for the exhaust? From the research i have done and the advice i have been given, I would like to keep the 2.5'' pipes and chage the muffler. X force twin loop has seen some popular results? Have had a look around and it doesnt seem i can get my hands on an orignal sportivo Muffler.

Can anyone recommend a shop in Perth for X force or any other suggestions for a quieter muffler,, please?

thanks guys