Sixth Generation Celica Door Speakers

sevenel_mx

Hey Guys, Recently I changed over my stereo head deck in my 1999 sx-r and either blew my front left door speaker playing with the wiring or realised it was blown.

So in I go to jb-hi-fi (AUSTRALIA) Guy informs me that it should be a 6" speaker, and me being the audio noob that I am brought the set (pioneers as I recently installed a pioneer face) Got home, took of the door panel, removed the speaker and once inside discovered that there was no way that the 6" were big enough.

Seems the celicas mount is extended to something near a 8-1/4 bracket but is still a 6" speaker, am I correct? Went back and returned the speakers to jb hoping to transfer for a set of 8" speakers when he informs me that they dont sell them, nor does anyone sell or even make them???

So the question is.... Where do I source replacement front door speakers for my sixth generation.

Any help, even just confirming the sizes/or what to do will be GREATLY appreciated, seems that the bogans at jb have no idea what there on about. CHEERS GUYS!

Firstly the guys at JB HI-FI do know what they are on about. It would seam that your the one that don't. All you need to do is to make a spacer that fits the hole the easiest way is to trace around the original speaker then cut it out with a jig saw make it out of craft wood or ply that way you won't have vibrations then with your new speakers put it into the centre of the ring making sure it's in the middle trace around that and cut out the middle give it a light sand and paint it if you want makes the whole thing look better. the better option would have been to purchase a set of 6" splits that way you can put the tweeters back into the factory locations makes for a much better sound .... hope this helps .

Hey Guys, Recently I changed over my stereo head deck in my 1999 sx-r and either blew my front left door speaker playing with the wiring or realised it was blown.

So in I go to jb-hi-fi (AUSTRALIA) Guy informs me that it should be a 6" speaker, and me being the audio noob that I am brought the set (pioneers as I recently installed a pioneer face) Got home, took of the door panel, removed the speaker and once inside discovered that there was no way that the 6" were big enough.

Seems the celicas mount is extended to something near a 8-1/4 bracket but is still a 6" speaker, am I correct? Went back and returned the speakers to jb hoping to transfer for a set of 8" speakers when he informs me that they dont sell them, nor does anyone sell or even make them???

So the question is.... Where do I source replacement front door speakers for my sixth generation.

Any help, even just confirming the sizes/or what to do will be GREATLY appreciated, seems that the bogans at jb have no idea what there on about. CHEERS GUYS!

Edited by TRDCELICA

Yeap thanks mate, with the JB thing I never said I had an idea still learning here.

What do you mean by the tweeters? The tweeters havent been removed so they will stay there, am only replacing the door speakers.

SOrry if im catching up on the terminology haha. By splits do you mean both a speaker and tweeter for each side?

When i replace the speakers are you reccommending i replace the tweeters aswell?

I think your wood template might be the go, I was thinking about modding the current metal plate as it is useless anyway but think the wood option will be a whole lot easier, cheers.

Any more info to help me on my way is appreciated, cheers mate.

Edited by sevenel_mx

Yeah i have a 96 celica same set up as yours the split option is much better i have used boston acoustic rally series but these may be out of your budget as they cost about $500 a pair there are other options out there though alpine have some good splits there is also sony, polk,fusion if ya like green .... pioneer and so many other brands just make sure they come with a cross over so that the tweeters dont get the low bass im sure the guys at JB HI-FI could help you out here ... you may olso want to consider making a new parcel shelf out of craft wood and putting a good set of 6x9's there makes great rear fill then a four channel amp at a later stage to boost power ... Cheers

Yeap thanks mate, with the JB thing I never said I had an idea still learning here.

What do you mean by the tweeters? The tweeters havent been removed so they will stay there, am only replacing the door speakers.

SOrry if im catching up on the terminology haha. By splits do you mean both a speaker and tweeter for each side?

When i replace the speakers are you reccommending i replace the tweeters aswell?

I think your wood template might be the go, I was thinking about modding the current metal plate as it is useless anyway but think the wood option will be a whole lot easier, cheers.

Any more info to help me on my way is appreciated, cheers mate.

Hey mate, Ive already purchased some pioneer TSA1683's which i got at a reasonable price on special at jb. Colour or look doesn't really matter because they will be behind the stock cover. Also brought some 3mm mdf board today and am gonna start tracing up. Speakers will just be run off the stock wiring which the stock door/mirror tweeters already run into. Hopefully all goes well.WIll update my progress.

Got one speaker in today, mounted up perfect and installed like a dream. Was thinking of unplugging the top door tweeter as the speakers are 4 way but decided to leave it in, the high pitch noises can become annoying.