Starter motor issues

parkerst

This morning, when i got in the baby and turned the key, All i heard was a low humming sound, like the starter motor was spinning but not going into the engine (i'm not sure exactly how they work though).

Edit: but DEFINITELY no turning of cylinders. I at least know what it sounds like when the spark plugs aren't doing their thing or there is no fuel etc..

I tried it about 2-3 times. i rocked the car back and fourth a little to see if that would help to no avail.

I went inside, made myself a coffee, rang the boss to tell him I'd be late for work, called a taxi, walked outside and tried to turn it over again whilst waiting for the taxi...

Bam! Motor fires first go.

Any body have any ideas?

Edited by parkerst

This morning, when i got in the baby and turned the key, All i heard was a low humming sound, like the starter motor was spinning but not going into the engine (i'm not sure exactly how they work though).

Edit: but DEFINITELY no turning of cylinders. I at least know what it sounds like when the spark plugs aren't doing their thing or there is no fuel etc..

I tried it about 2-3 times. i rocked the car back and fourth a little to see if that would help to no avail.

I went inside, made myself a coffee, rang the boss to tell him I'd be late for work, called a taxi, walked outside and tried to turn it over again whilst waiting for the taxi...

Bam! Motor fires first go.

Any body have any ideas?

What year model car do you have? when you say the car was "Humming", do you mean the car was cranking over? i.e was it trying to start or did you just hear a click and then the starter motor trying to turn? if the later, then it could either be your battery or starter motor solenoid...etc

The car is a 1990 st184 sx (with the 5s-fe engine)

nono, like I said, no cranking. All I heard was the click and a hum like the motor was turning but not touching the engine.

if you think the motor is turning but no engine crank, then you could have a broken tooth on the ring gear (part of your fly wheel). if you hear clicking and then an electrical hum then I'd say it's the starter motor solenoid. The contacts may be too dirty to make a good electrical contact. next time it doesn't start, if you know where your starter motor is, give it a few taps with a hammer (give it some force but not so that it will break something) and then try to start the engine. If that works then it's your starter motor.

A good autoelectrician can bypass a bad solenoid by installing a starter relay as a cheap alternative to a new starter motor.

BTW, is your car an auto or a manual. I had a ST162 with the 3SFE engine and i had a similar starting problems.

Edited by qkslvr

I couldn't find a pic or diagram of the 5SFE starter motor on google. but if you are standing in front of the car looking into the enginebay, the gearbox is to your right of the engine and the starter is bolted to the front/top side of engine where the block bolts to the bell housing of the gearbox. it should be near the shift linkage. Just try and picture where your flywheel is and it shouldn't be far from that. if you look at it carefully, it should be pretty obvious which is the starter motor.

Edit: it should look similar to this and bolted to your engine/gearbox:

CX500_starter.JPG

hope this helps.

P.S no idea where to get a reconditioned starter from. contact your local auto electrician and they might know.

Edited by qkslvr

Also; is there repair manuals out there for this sort of s***? ie 1990 5s-fe 184st's?

I had one for my bombodore and it worked a treat for minor things like this.

bug Repco or AutoOne for a Haynes manual. They should have one for your model. Autobarn probably won't have it because it involves real auto mechanics. hehehe

No, they change design and the parts change as does the engines...

You have to get one that suits your car...

You can buy new ones from Repco for around the same price as a reconditioned one from an auto elec... Both will have a years warranty so it's up to you where to go from here...

If you're anywhere on the North Shore, give Alan a call on 0411 075 254, tell him Ben with the orange corolla from Chatswood Toyota sent you and he'll look after you :) :) :) ...

• 1 month later...

Right; Here's an update on the situation

After posting this thread, the problem pretty much fixed itself, HOWEVER, it's started happening again on occasion but i've noticed now;

1. It tends to happen when the engine is hot and/or

2. if I roll the car 20-40M, it kicks over, instead of making the whurring sound..

Its almost like the motor is not connecting with the gearbox. it turns on whurrs every time without fail

Edited by parkerst