Hilux Over-Revving...Help..

hey guys,

just wondering if anyone could help... I've just bought a Hilux Xtra Cab (4WD petrol) and i've found its Over-Revving when I change gears (up to 500 more revs) I have tried to pin point it down to exactly when it does it but and it seems to be when I'm driving the first 5 or so km's of a trip and then it just goes away?? but then will just randomly come back when I pull up at lights sometimes or go through a round about??

It also revs up to 1500 revs when I first start it of a morning but it will then slowly come back down. Is this just built in feature for the engine to warm up correctly?

Is this a common problem? a bad problem? expensive problem?

Any ideas or help would be great.

Cheers,

Ryan,

the over revving problem sounds odd to me, but all i can think of is the it has something to do with the transmission. also, you said that the engine revs at 1500rpm when its first turned on in the morning. my aurion does do that when i turn it on when its cold, and the revving reduces about 1/2 min afterwards. a toyota mechanic said it was designed that way to help the oil and fuel to flow through all components of the engine. this is for the new models with 3.5 ltr v6's such as aurions, klugers, v6 rav4s ect... your hilux has a 4 ltr v6 i think, and i don't know if its similar or not.

after all, i suggest you should bring it in to a toyota dealer to let have a look at it.

Does the Hilux have a choke stick? It's inside the cabin on the drivers side. It's a manual idle speed adjustmentused for when starting your engine when its cold. It increases the engine rpm above normal speed depending on how far you pull it, allowing the engine oil to circulate throughout the engine. Once the engine has warmed up, you push back down the choke stick.

My dad's old ('97 model) Mazda work van had it as well as my '00 model Yamaha R6.

But I think later model vehicles have it automated.

I think my corolla does the same thing when its started when the engine is cold and when its warmed up the rev automatically drops down to normal idling speed.