Kluger started stalling over the weekend. (1st Gen)

Yogi02

I had the Kluger stall after about 1 minute after a cold start on Friday, Saturday and when warm on Sunday.

Backed out of the driveway and just after I accelerated up the hill, it stalled in the middle of the road. Restarted OK, happened again, restarted once more and it was fine.

Next day, stalled just as I took off, restarted and it was fine until I was traveling at 60kph down a straight road and it stalled!!! - Wouldn't restart for 10 minutes.

A bit peeved by this time.

I had already started thinking about flow meters and idle issues on the Saturday, but problems can be hard to diagnose if an intermittent problem and now that it had stalled while driving it is now a concern for when the missus is driving with the kids.

After about an hour trolling the internet for more possibilities, I decided to try an clean the Mass Air Flow (MAF) meter as it looked to be the easiest and cheapest first attempt, otherwise it was likely to be dealer time.

I did not have any consumption issues or rough idling previous, so I was a bit skeptical it was the MAF.

I am guessing that it would have cost a couple of hundred to have dropped off a car to mechanic and get them to diagnose and fix.

After finding and cleaning the MAF with electrical contact cleaner ($15- can) - No problems so far, touch wood.

I just wanted to post the best resources I found - and it appears to be a common but very very easy to fix problem. 10 minutes tops.....seriously

There are little bits of information scattered around, but nothing kluger/highlander related in the v6 that I could find.

I will probably do this every 20k from here on in.

MAF sensor cleaning how to: http://www.top4runners.com/ja/cleanmaf.html

MAF cleaning video: http://vimeo.com/2634971

post-11787-128256558736_thumb.jpg

post-11787-128256560197_thumb.jpg

No disrespect intended but I think the lack of replies may just be a sign that not too many forum readers are in the first gen Klugers.

Did you have a read of the US based "Toyota Nation" forums? They're packed full of good content.

• 5 months later...