Replacement remote car keys for 2010 Toyota Corolla

I recently had one remote key for my 2010 Toyota stolen. The car came with two masters so at least I had the spare and could get a another one made easily....sounds simple and I thought can't be too expensive....wrong ...wrong.....wrong. The last two weeks I have spent trying to get a replacement key at a reasonable price......hah! Dealership told me that I definitely need a spare key (master) cos if I lose the other one I am in big trouble (costs $0,000s to replace computer etc)and this part is definitely true, however they quoted me $375.00 for the remote key plus cutting plus recoding...about $500+ but that was OK they said just claim on your insurance, and yes I was covered up to $1000 BUT the excess was $500.00! I rang another dealership and they quoted similar prices.

The first spare parts people suggested I ring an automotive locksmith which I did and they were very reasonable costwise, way under the $500+ and also gave me an option for having a master key without the remote. Then I got a call from them telling me that they didn't have the software for the recoding for my model car as Toyota had changed the coding from October 2009, upshot couldn't help me... I had to got to a dealership and pay whatever they charged, sorry. Rang another locksmith from the yellow pages....same story.

Rang the dealership where I bought the car back in April, to speak to manager, gave all the details and got a call back the next day from spare part manger saying that they would let me have the remote key for 275 plus the other costs and when I asked about the automotive locksmiths she said that what they do is illegal and you should only deal with Toyota. She also had no answer when I queried why their spare parts department were the ones to suggest a locksmith in the first place!!! Rang the other dealership back and they couldn't do a better deal...but said to ring DLC Locksmiths....I told him about the issue with the software and he said look just ring these guys they would know what to do...and guess what.... they did. Turns out they supply a lot of the locksmiths with their stuff and they knew all about the software issue etc. etc....so the happy ending to this saga??? I have a replacement remote key for the cost of $220.00 (key, cut and recoded)and they came to my home!

The moral to this story is ...don't believe everything the dealerships tell you and do some research on the net....someone else may have experienced the same situation as you.

thats a good price! i was going to get a spare for my key because i was only given one after i picked my car up. Luckily the place sent the key home after a month.