Camry Touring 2010 Fuel consumption 15.2L/100km. Normal?

Jeremy S

I mainly use it to bring the kids to school and back. Humps forcing the car to go 25km/h quite a bit, mostly 10 min trips w/ a few traffic lights and no hills, no heater nor air-con. warm-up on 1.5krpm and 800rpm once it is done. not a fan of heavy foot hardly going over 2.5krpm ever. 50 litre 91 unlead do around 330km according to the dashboard.

The last time I used it across the state, it did go down to 7.5 litre / 100km after going 300km on a motorway where I mostly went 110km on cruise control.

My friend has a city car doing around 4L/100km. Anything I can do to bring the number down for my daily driving? I tried injector cleaner. The number went down from 15.2 to 14.4 for a week or two but that was it. The fuel I saved ~$5 didn't even cover the cost of the cleaner ~$10.

Because you are running in lower gears most of the time with a lot of start and stop, this fuel economy will take quite a dip. 15/100 is quite normal for this. You need to get some higher speeds and some freeway driving to increase your fuel economy. Fuel injector cleaner is a waste of money. Modern cars do not like a lot of slow and lower gear driving.