Accent gearbox to Sportivo gearbox. Who, what, where, why and how?

Hey dudes and dudetts.

I want to try and put a Sportivo gearbox in my 03 Accent hatch.

Just wondering what exactly I need to do this, as this is my first time acually doing any mods to my car.

I want to put in the Sportivo gearbox as I think revving @ 4k while going 120 is too much.

Rough prices for Sportivo gearbox's would be appreciated too thanks :).

Cheers

G'day WRCFella,

The gearbox for sale HERE is probaly one of the cheapest you'll find. If you were to get a mechanic to fit it, I'd be allowing approx $1k for his work, and allow for a new clutch in the mix there too.

I would be thinking that with frieght, parts, oil and other incidentals this job would realistically end up somewhere between $3-4k. If you are handy, or have mates who can spin the spanners for you, you could come out of it cheaper. And you may also be able to offload the 5spd too

You probably don't want to hear this, but I'm going to say it anyway -

the cheapest way for you to get the 6spd box would be to sell your Ascent and buy a Sportivo, and enjoy all of the goodies that come with it (2ZZ motor, climate control, leather etc.) Any good bolt-on stuff you have on your Ascent should be transferrable too.

Based on that - look at what your Ascent is worth, have a look at what sportivos are going for online and maybe consider making the switch. If the difference in their values is only about that 4k mark.......seriously give some thought to joining the 8200rpm club

G'day WRCFella,

The gearbox for sale HERE is probaly one of the cheapest you'll find. If you were to get a mechanic to fit it, I'd be allowing approx $1k for his work, and allow for a new clutch in the mix there too.

I would be thinking that with frieght, parts, oil and other incidentals this job would realistically end up somewhere between $3-4k. If you are handy, or have mates who can spin the spanners for you, you could come out of it cheaper. And you may also be able to offload the 5spd too

the cheapest way for you to get the 6spd box would be to sell your Ascent and buy a Sportivo, and enjoy all of the goodies that come with it (2ZZ motor, climate control, leather etc.) Any good bolt-on stuff you have on your Ascent should be transferrable too.

Based on that - look at what your Ascent is worth, have a look at what sportivos are going for online and maybe consider making the switch. If the difference in their values is only about that 4k mark.......seriously give some thought to joining the 8200rpm club

cheers man, done my figures, buying the stivo will be cheaper.

thanks alot.

G'day WRCFella,

cheers man, done my figures, buying the stivo will be cheaper.

thanks alot.

If that's the case then please go to the following ....

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29157&view=findpost&p=410395

I think some of you guys are missing the point that he is making. If you think the ratios on the 1zz are geared too short then you won't be happy with a stivo or the 6 speed box. I sit close to 4000 at only 110.

I think some of you guys are missing the point that he is making. If you think the ratios on the 1zz are geared too short then you won't be happy with a stivo or the 6 speed box. I sit close to 4000 at only 110.

What?

I sit at 2900RPM going 100km/h on 6th.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

What?

I sit at 2900RPM going 100km/h on 6th.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Celi 6th gear perhaps? :P

Evo

So in other words upgrade to a Celica instead of a Sportivo? Even then that'll only drop a coulpe hundred rpm from a Sportivo at 120km/h.

So in other words upgrade to a Celica instead of a Sportivo? Even then that'll only drop a coulpe hundred rpm from a Sportivo at 120km/h.

Fair call.

Let's paint a picture -

You have two cars next to each other on the road,

both sitting at 4000rpm,

one with 4200rpm left to give,

one with 2000rpm,

which would you rather be in?

(I mena, technically, I could recommend a VX SS with an LS1 and T56, where he could do under 2000rpm in 6th if the whole point of the exercise was just to drop revs :P but I reckon advising WRCFella to look at the stivo was a good move)

Edited by IMB055

Well if he changed tyre profile to something slightly oversized then it will make a lil more difference.

Just don't want this guy to be changing cars just to have lower rpms at 120 to find out it will be higher in the stivo. It seems like it is an important factor to the OP.

at 120 i only pull 3600 :) 3900 at 130 woot woot!

celicas are defs geared better than stivos.

buy a ss commodor and sit at 2000rpm at 160

Fair call.

Let's paint a picture -

both sitting at 4000rpm,

one with 2000rpm,

(I mena, technically, I could recommend a VX SS with an LS1 and T56, where he could do under 2000rpm in 6th if the whole point of the exercise was just to drop revs :P but I reckon advising WRCFella to look at the stivo was a good move)

and i'm guessing you cant change gearbox ratios lol

Fair call.

Let's paint a picture -

both sitting at 4000rpm,

one with 2000rpm,

Yeah you can.

As above, you can, but you need to buy the new gears, plus parts and labour costs will be pretty huge.

I see a few options:

Put up with it and loose a little bit of money on economy

Sell up to a Sportivo, get that extra gear and more powaaaaa for what, like 6k cost, which you wont really make back in economy but maybe in fun.

Sell up to a brand new small car (new rolla even), new cars are so freaking economical now

Sell down to a 1JZ Supra and enjoy getting maybe 350km to a tank (70l, maybe 5l left). Pocket a few k and burn it in fuel.

As above, you can, but you need to buy the new gears, plus parts and labour costs will be pretty huge.

I see a few options:

Put up with it and loose a little bit of money on economy

Sell up to a Sportivo, get that extra gear and more powaaaaa for what, like 6k cost, which you wont really make back in economy but maybe in fun.

Sell up to a brand new small car (new rolla even), new cars are so freaking economical now

Sell down to a 1JZ Supra and enjoy getting maybe 350km to a tank (70l, maybe 5l left). Pocket a few k and burn it in fuel.

so you cant just change the stock ratios?

prolly better to just buy a mr2 :D

so you cant just change the stock ratios?

prolly better to just buy a mr2 :D

You can, but it's easier (and cheaper) said than done. You need to change two gears to change the ratio on 1 speed in the box. Then there is the balancing act of speed vs fuel consumption and etc.