HID + Footwell lighting problem

private number

Hey fellas, already posted this up on toyotanation but i thought id ask here to since toyotanation is a US based site..

Part 1) 27/08/2010

My HID fogs recently failed. Im thinking it has something to do with the ballast? Or maybe it has something to do with the following;

As some of you may no previously, my HIDs are powered by the left parker light. However, something clicked to me recently. When i turned on the foglight HIDs (when it was working), the footwell neons flickered a bit and was slightly dim when they were on. The footwell neons are powered via the centre dome light.

Now that it has failed, when i turn on the HIDs via the switch the footwell neons seems to be playing up and only half the neon tube is light up. However, when i turn the HIDs off, the neon tube lights up per normal.

Does the parker lights + dome lights have the same power source? What else could be the reason why the HIDs are failing?

Anyway, fast forward to today. Both HID fogs have failed. I checked for any loss connections and found nothing. In the process, i accidently snapped one of the male plugs. Now i have to make a trip to jaycar and find a similar connection and splice it back in where i can continue to diagnose the problem.

Once i do this, i might actually pay someone to re-wire my foglights to get power from the battery but be able to turn on and off only when the parker lights are on.

Maybe after that, i can see whether or not its the wiring and i blew a wire somewhere, or whether its the ballast.

Unfortunately, since i accidently snapped one of the male plugs, warranty is out of the window...but i guess i can only try. Ill make a note to tell the electrician that there might be to much resistance in the circuit?

Part 2) 28/08/2010

It seems like each of my after market electronic accessories are failing one at a time. Tonight, my footwell neons are not lighting up AT ALL. However, the dome light (which is the footwell neons power source) is operating as per normal

i feel ya mate...

if ya need a professional that does a good job at auto electricals, try AIM auto electrical at burwood east (if its not too far for you to drive).

its one of those guys that runs his own business for yonks and takes great pride in his workmanship even if it takes him the whole day just to do one car.

hope ya get it fixed soon.

how did you wire the fog hid kit to the left parker light? is it getting power directly from it? I don't know if the wires for the parker can handle two hid ballasts. if you want to diy by a hid relay harness for your foglights so it gets a signal from the parker but powers up from the battery.

i feel ya mate...

if ya need a professional that does a good job at auto electricals, try AIM auto electrical at burwood east (if its not too far for you to drive).

its one of those guys that runs his own business for yonks and takes great pride in his workmanship even if it takes him the whole day just to do one car.

hope ya get it fixed soon.

Hmm burwood? Thats a fair drive for me mate. But im willing to make the trip if you highly recommended it. Ill give it a thought and see whatsup. Still got a handful of things waiting to be installed.

how did you wire the fog hid kit to the left parker light? is it getting power directly from it? I don't know if the wires for the parker can handle two hid ballasts. if you want to diy by a hid relay harness for your foglights so it gets a signal from the parker but powers up from the battery.

As far as im aware, my mate got the power from a wire (which is the wire that directly powers the parker light) near the parker light fuse inside the cabin. I had a feeling that the wires for the parker wont handle to HID ballast because originally, the right parker wouldnt stay on when the car is off implying that it wasnt getting enough power.

So today, i put the stock bulbs back on to see if it would start up..and nothing. So im assuming i already fried the wires from the power source to the foglights? So i might actually like what you stated chicken, get power direct from the battery. But im not sure if this will have a problem in the future when all the audio gear gets installed in?

As far as im aware, my mate got the power from a wire (which is the wire that directly powers the parker light) near the parker light fuse inside the cabin. I had a feeling that the wires for the parker wont handle to HID ballast because originally, the right parker wouldnt stay on when the car is off implying that it wasnt getting enough power.

So today, i put the stock bulbs back on to see if it would start up..and nothing. So im assuming i already fried the wires from the power source to the foglights? So i might actually like what you stated chicken, get power direct from the battery. But im not sure if this will have a problem in the future when all the audio gear gets installed in?

have you checked the fuse for the foglights?

you can buy a hid relay harness on ebay for ~$15 and plug the wire your friend made to the input and power from the battery. it shouldn't be a problem to your audio gear but double check on that.

Im not sure there is a fuse for the foglights, since the foglights power is just taped from the parker lights. So essentially, theyre sharing the same fuse.

And thanks for that, i spoke to my mate today and he said it can be done. As for the HID relay harness, i already have that as it came with the kit?

Edited by private number

Im not sure there is a fuse for the foglights, since the foglights power is just taped from the parker lights. So essentially, theyre sharing the same fuse.

And thanks for that, i spoke to my mate today and he said it can be done. As for the HID relay harness, i already have that as it came with the kit?

The HID ballast and relay harness are two different things. My setup has a HID controller (relay harness) which is plugged into the factory headlight socket, which controlls the projector. And is also tapped into the parking light, which controlls the angel light. The HID controller is also hooked up to the battery.

Then the ballast is plugged into the controller and the HID globe is plugged in the ballast. If that makes sense?

So: HID controller is plugged into factory harness - recieves signal - draws power from battery - feeds into ballast - ballast boosts current and feeds into HID globe. Hope that helps...

bloody reece, you already owe me a lunch/dinner!

anyway, you shouldnt be powering your HIDs through your parkers. by adding hids to it, your drawing a lot more current to the ballast when you turn them on. you most likely will need a wiring harness but have a switch active connecting to your parkers. when im free ill let you know, and ill try to do it for you! it wont be until at least after mid oct.

to your dome light, your fuse has blown out, to re-assure this, open your boot, if the light doesnt pop on, you've blown a fuse for sure. look in your car manual to see where the fuse is located. if not i can pop by after work sometime this week and help you out.

In the past 2 yrs, I have had more problems with my HID Fog lights then a person would have with their Hyundai Excel.

The problem i have now is that one of my Fog light Frames have Fogged up...

Ive given up for now. :(