Does your car knock/ping/detonate on standard ecu ?

Heya all,

Just wondering if any 7a-fe owners have experienced any form of ping/knock/detonation on their stock motors on stock ecu ? Since i purchased my ae111 manual, i've noticed when i give it between 70-100% throttle at the upper rpm's the engine will encounter a bit of knocking/detonation. I know this as i can hear it.

Far as i know, my car is stock with only the addition of a K&N panel filter. It's a manual not that that should affect anything.

I can't understand why a basically stock car will be knocking with standard factory maps.. the only things i could think of is either a really blocked up fuel filter (but the car starts easily cold/hot) or a failing fuel pump causing lean outs.. but i've never heard of a toyota with a failed fuel pump. The car being a daily will unlikely have blocked injectors either methinks.

Hrmmmm...Have a spare emanage ultimate laying around but really don't wanna tamper with the daily if i can avoid it (you guys know how it goes, it only takes one mod...)

Any ideas/previous experiences?

Forgot to mention it's not massive detonation but not light either as i can hear it happening but quite faintly.. anyways, not the kind of stuff that will blow my motor tomorrow.

My previous weekender probably the same level of detonation but at a low rpm range on lightish throttle due to factory maps being too aggressive (being an import, the crappy fuel we have here didn't help either) and that car survived for over a year till i got the ecu reflashed to get rid of it and gain some top end and the engine was still healthy enough to put down really good power compared to others (of the same model/engine).

What fuel are you using? 7AFEs definitely shouldn't be pinging on regular 91, and it is unlikely to be a tune issue as the 7AFE was sold here for a good 10 years before the AE112 came along (and in locally built/tuned cars too). Might be worthwhile checking your timing too, along with any codes on the CEL (with diagnostic mode activated).

Normally 91 or 91 E10 Hiro.. i tried 95 a couple of days ago and there is still knocking however i think less. I shall try a full tank of 98 next week and see how that goes hrmm.

Hmm checking timing might be good actually...the car is abnormally fast and punchy (and that's without considering it doens't have vvti or vvtli).. Maybe it's all too advanced.

I'll check diagnostics on a lazy weekend. Would you have a handy guide for the ae112 7afe diagnostics mode or is the car plug in consult only?

Normally 91 or 91 E10 Hiro.. i tried 95 a couple of days ago and there is still knocking however i think less. I shall try a full tank of 98 next week and see how that goes hrmm.

Hmm checking timing might be good actually...the car is abnormally fast and punchy (and that's without considering it doens't have vvti or vvtli).. Maybe it's all too advanced.

I'll check diagnostics on a lazy weekend. Would you have a handy guide for the ae112 7afe diagnostics mode or is the car plug in consult only?

Could well be timing then, the car should normally be tuned to run fine on 91 (I always run mine on 95 or 98 anyway and my timing is adjusted to suit), and the knock sensor should be able to adjust for any discrepancies anyway (unless it is faulty, which should show up in a diag check)

Diagnostic mode is easy to set - get a paperclip and bridge the TE1 and E1 terminals of the diagnostic connector, which is a little black block with a flip-top lid located in the passengers side of the engine bay, near the strut tower - this will fix the advance on the timing allowing you to check and set the base timing, as well as displaying any engine fault codes by coded flashes of the Check Engine Light on the instrument cluster.

• Like 1

Great thanks Hiro!

Yeah read the 7afe have knock sensors though mine might not be working..after knocking from WOT, if i go WOT again after it still knocks..it should be modern enough that when it knocks it will run rich and retard timing.

Cheers for the diagnostic location..i would've been getting angry trying to look for an obd port in cabin bah! I'll check it out when i get a lazy weekend though i must admit..if i can use 98 and get away with no knocking i'd rather leave it as the car is so nice to drive in it's current form lol.