New splits installed, but have a problem!

ZAV

I installed a new headunit and front splits this weekend

Now the tweeter fits fine, but for the mid range i had to make a custom mdf spacer sine the screw holes wouldnt reach even though i have 6.5 inch speaker. I used 6mm mdf to screw it to the plastic mould, then screwed the speaker to the mdf. It sounds fantastic But i have a problem since the edges of the door trim are still proped up near the speak and wont sit in.

Has any1 else had this problem, and before i go make some new spacer, did using slighlty thinner mdf fix the propped up trim.

Plus my crossover is kind of big so i had to hack out some of the foam in the door and mount it in that, but where did every1 else mount there crossovers?

Also the plastic bit around the head unit didnt fit, does every1 else have this problem?

guess ur speaker's magnets were jst too big for the door :( i had no problems fitting my kenwood splits in.. the crossovers were jst shoved into the panel.. being aware that they stay low enough to not interfere with the glass when the window is down..

in regard to the deck.. what plastic bit are u talkin about?

when i put my deck in, i didnt use the cosmetic 'boarder' that came with it as the deck sits flush wit the toyota console.. refer to pic:

HeadUnit

Edited by Daz

yep that cosmetic border, it doesnt quite fit along the top.

I didn't quite want to shove the crossovers overs in the door, just incase water drains in there.

the magnets were not a problem it was the reach of of the speaker holes, i'll post pics this weekend wen i build a new mount

I would check behind the kickpanels and see if there is much space there. Thats where i'b be putting my crossovers as long as they fit.

Of course this would mean pushing 2 sets of speaker wire through the wiring run in the door jambs but at least your crossovers are much better protected!

i also fitted a new deck and splits the other day...

firstly the head deck - mine also didnt fit too well when i tried to stick the vents back on.. i just used force and eventually it fitted... if its only a marginal difference just give it a push - the little metal bits that bolt into the dash are pretty flexible so it might work for you...

the speakers were a good fit for me... i used the stock mounting positions. its a bit of a pain in the ***** that those black plastic things are actually the speaker... so i cut the cone out and sawed those plastic support things (no hope of putting the stock ones back in :P ) .. if your speakers dont fit, then they must have MASSIVE magnets or are just really deep...

the crossovers - i mounted them in my dash... if you stick your head under the dash on the drivers side, there is a small ledge just above where your right leg would go (i dont DO technical names)... i just got double sided tape and whacked em on there... im not sure where my left one is (i didnt do it) but i found in the dash is a good place cos theres no chance of water getting into it and you can keep the wires hidden easily... ill look for my left one later.

so thats my 2 cents - having an aftermarket stereo is so great if you do it properly...

hope it works well for you :)