Corolla Ultima

A relative is considering a new car, and I think a great deal can be had now on the Corolla Ultima sedan, considering the range is now quite long in the tooth and to be replaced very soon.

The query is, is the 4 speed auto problematic, or is all this talk about it just a lot of hot air?

i dont think you would have an issue with the 4 speed automatic. My mum has an 02 corolla with the 4 speed auto and hasnt had an issue. I've got an 08 Hatch and havent had an issue either.

also, when you mean 'all this talk', what do you mean?

Long in the tooth? It's only 3 1/2 years old, and the sedan received it's mid-life facelift only in the last few months (at which time the Ultima got the 2.0L as well).

Traditionally Corolla models have been replaced every 4 years (in Japan at least, Aus is usually a year or two behind), but the ZZE bucked the trend by lasting 5 1/2years (Dec 01 - May 07) and I'd anticipate that the ZRE would follow the same trend (there's no real sign of a replacement on the horizon yet), if not last longer. Basically if they bump the auto up to a 5- or 6-speed and make the 2.0L common across the range it could last for at least another 3 years against the current competition.

I did not know it was now a 2 litre. That should help. If you reckon a 5 speed auto is a few months away, I will tell my mum to wait for the new year's sales.

Only the Ultima sedan is now a 2.0L, and it is also auto-only. I never said that a 5-speed was coming, I said that Toyota could probably stretch out the life and competitiveness of the model by fitting a better auto (the current unit is outdated compared to the competition, one of the big downsides to the model).

Ultima's are awsome cars.. Great choice btw, i thought u were after a Mazda....

The 4 speed auto is fine, The 2.0 L has an extra 2 KW compared to the 1.8 L :)

Im curious the power difference with mods on the 2.0litre, (cai, exhaust etc.) if there would be any gain over the 1.8 with mods.

Im curious the power difference with mods on the 2.0litre, (cai, exhaust etc.) if there would be any gain over the 1.8 with mods.

Unless theres a misprint on the toyota website. I was expecting it to be around 110 KW