Anyone bother with extended warranty?

rzkman

Hello fellow Kluger owners,

I have a 2008 Kluger Grande 2WD which is coming to the end of its 3yr warranty period. It has done 40K suburban driving and we have had trouble free motoring with it.

I am wondering if I should purchase the extended warranty insurance from Toyota before the factory warranty expires. As with most extras sold through Toyota, I expect it is overpriced. Here are the prices I was quoted for my particular car (model, kms, postcode taken into account)

Extra 3yrs up to 100,000km $1700

Extra 2yrs up to 100,000km $1400

Extra 1yr up to 100,000km $1200.

Murphy's law says that I will have trouble free motoring during the warranty period and after it expires I will start getting problems. Do you guys think it is worth it? Is there an alternative insurance product that is better priced?

Cheers,

Ray.

I have a 2008 Kluger Grande 2WD which is coming to the end of its 3yr warranty period. It has done 40K suburban driving and we have had trouble free motoring with it.

I am wondering if I should purchase the extended warranty insurance from Toyota before the factory warranty expires. As with most extras sold through Toyota, I expect it is overpriced. Here are the prices I was quoted for my particular car (model, kms, postcode taken into account)

Murphy's law says that I will have trouble free motoring during the warranty period and after it expires I will start getting problems. Do you guys think it is worth it? Is there an alternative insurance product that is better priced?

Cheers,

Ray.

Further to this question, has anyone managed to negotiate these amounts down - like our friends across the Pacific do?

Hi Ray!

I receive the same letter.

Hmmm I had warranty repair of the VVTi controller last week. Just a month before warranty expires. Still I don't think I need that extended.

my plan is to use non Toyota machanics to service the car. Hmmm I think I will take this chance. I doubt it worth much if I sold the car within this period. People will rather think that the car has been having problem and you need warranty. Catch 22 huh?

Also I am planning to LPG the car if I had to keep it. warranty will be voided then anyway right????

Hi Ray!

I receive the same letter.

Hmmm I had warranty repair of the VVTi controller last week. Just a month before warranty expires. Still I don't think I need that extended.

my plan is to use non Toyota machanics to service the car. Hmmm I think I will take this chance. I doubt it worth much if I sold the car within this period. People will rather think that the car has been having problem and you need warranty. Catch 22 huh?

Also I am planning to LPG the car if I had to keep it. warranty will be voided then anyway right????

Hi Taka!

I actually haven't received my letter yet, but just thinking ahead :-) Geez, if you needed the VVTi controller repaired now, aren't you worried that other similar stuff like this will fail after the warranty expires? Funny you should mention this, as I dropped my Kluger in for service this morning and they only thing I wanted them to check was a rattling sound that happens sometimes when I start the car cold. He service guy mentioned something about the VVTi controller and that I should leave the car with them overnight to get it checked out. I wonder if I have the same issue as you. What were the symptoms for your VVTi controller issue?

With the insurance, you can actually cancel the policy and get a pro-rate refund when you sell the car. I never thought of it that way, of where the buyer might actually view the extended warranty as a negative!

You must do heaps more kms than me to warrant converting to LPG. I toyed with the idea initially, but I guess I am used to paying its petrols bills at the moment since unleaded has been relatively cheap.

Cheers,

Ray.

Ratting sound on start up was exactly the symptom and I just occur in the last 2 months.

They had to drop the engine down to do it. replaced it by a newer designed part that meant to be better. I am sure that is the better part that is on the later models.

insurance canceling thing is very tempting idea. I must check that out this month. I wonder if I can pay by the month??? :)

in terms of LPG, I think the premium of 60c a litter is very tempting as we are doing 25000km city kms a year. Less than that I think is useless excercise.

we just bought a 2nd hand kluger that is 3yrs old and we bought the 3yr extended warranty with the car, probably wont use it but better to have it cause toyota parts are so expensive

we had 3 door trims replaced when we got the car and they were $1400 each but that was covered on the old warranty which i dont think would make a difference

if you pay retails for part of course.

As the US dollars slump, it is wise to import parts to repair the Toyota. I import a set of spark plug identical to the ones Mazda has for my RX8. I was surprised for the quote that Mazda locally charges $150 each. a quick check of prices in the US. The Mazda dealer over there wants $150 US a set shipped. any mechanics or even a handy friend can do it for a low fee (latter may just cost a 6 pack).

I never agree with the pricing of Australian dealers.

$30 for a Kluger oil filter?!

Hi,

I didn't bother with it because the dealer I bought it from said that if I bring the car back for its regular services (every 6months/10k whichever's first) while I own the car, they would add the extra warranty of 6 years/175000km. That applied to two different dealers and two different Klugers.

But I don't plan to keep the car for that long anyway, but it's good to know that they did this.

However I did have extendend warranty purchased for a 1995 Camry and it paid for itself. Had a major engine job after the original warranty expired which took 2 days to repair and didn't cost me a cent. So I got my money's worth plus more if I didn't have it.

Rgds,

G

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

Ray.

Hey - i just got quoted $1375 for a 3 year extended warranty from Toyota in Waterloo, Sydney - 150,000km max - which suits us as tge car has done 40k in 2 3/4 years..

I was hoping to get that price down but it seems i may have a good price..

I was originally quoted $2400 for my R32 extra warranty and shopped around and got that down to $1300..(outside Sydney)

Jeloz

• 2 months later...

I have put up with the same rattle for the last month, while I waited for the 60k service.

Had a Christmas surprise of new VVTI controllers, which I wasn't happy about, as it was just out of warranty.

After listening to my complaints, I was offered a deal (or so they tell me).

Parts supplied by Toyota (FOC), and 50% only for the labour.

It still cost me $750, which is why I don't feel like a got a deal.

Maybe I should have taken the extended warranty?

• 5 weeks later...