aftermarket catalytic converters? Worth? Legal?

I am going to change the header soon anyways, but wondering can I change the catalytic convertor as well to reduce back pressure

I have catback already installed..

Is it legal as well?

Or is it a waste of money?

Hi-Flow CATs from what I know AREN'T legal unless they have an ADR/EPA serial number? Metal CAT and CATCO I think is one of the only legal ones (Please check EPA/ADR about this)

Imported ones that aren't stamped is definitely BAD for your hip pocket ($10K Fine anyone)

Waste of money? Well it REALLY depends on your factory cat, if its small diameters and your pipe diameters for your headers n catback is a lot bigger, then yeah possibly the Hi-Flow CAT will benefit you. You also need to see if your engine is really being backed up (Back pressure too high) otherwise go too big/too free and watch your torque go bye bye and very possibly peak power too!

***** dyno will tell you it's faster cause it sounds sporty, gives you possibly pretty backfire, sounds louder and faster BUT you're not going any faster ;)

Edited by DreadAngel

So many people keep thinking along the lines of less backpressure is better. This is not always the case and there is a point where you can be going too far.

So many people keep thinking along the lines of less backpressure is better. This is not always the case and there is a point where you can be going too far.

I got evidence from here

http://www.importtuner.com/features/0610impp_catalytic_converter_removal/index.html

It gives 3hp more on a civc

yeah it really does depend on the car and the application ...... in my case i wanna get the air out of there ASAP with as little restriction as possible.

you do realise that its possible to gain 3HP on a dyno by simply tightening the straps or inflating the tyres a bit more so it really isnt that conclusive.

Turbo cars yes, N/A... maybe. If your doing the whole system I'd replace the cat as well.

As for legality, pretty sure anything under 200CPI (cells per inch) is 'off road use only', which is pointless. But I think the rules have recently changed - but for newer cars (2004+) only.