Noise from Rear brakes

mikka

Guys

Have a quick question - I was stuck in some stop-start traffic the other day and I heard a noise coming from the rear left brakes as I rolled along to a roundabout. The noise is an intermittent metallic rubbing noise as the wheel goes round, its very feint but you can hear it if you listen hard. I'll definitely get the Toyota service blokes to have a look at it in a couple of months as its in for its 75k service but in the meantime I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what I'm up for - is it just new pads/adjustment of the pads or could it be a warped disk? Also do you think I should take it in straight away or can it wait a couple of months and is this a possible DIY job or should I leave it to the professionals?

Thanks in advance.

M.

Guys

Have a quick question - I was stuck in some stop-start traffic the other day and I heard a noise coming from the rear left brakes as I rolled along to a roundabout. The noise is an intermittent metallic rubbing noise as the wheel goes round, its very feint but you can hear it if you listen hard. I'll definitely get the Toyota service blokes to have a look at it in a couple of months as its in for its 75k service but in the meantime I was wondering if you had any thoughts on what I'm up for - is it just new pads/adjustment of the pads or could it be a warped disk? Also do you think I should take it in straight away or can it wait a couple of months and is this a possible DIY job or should I leave it to the professionals?

Thanks in advance.

M.

Hi Mika,

If it's a soft metallic squealing noise, then it's probably the brake pad wear indicators showing up. Are they the original pads from new? I know toyota pads generally start making metallic squealing noises once they wear down to minimum. It's normal for the Toyota OME brake pads to make an audible metallic squealing noise to let the driver know that the pads are wearing to minimimum thickness. You should consider getting them inspected and changed (if appropriate) at the first opportunity.

In my experience, it gets louder as you wear the pads down further and it will eventually get to a stage that it will make the noise even when you reverse. It would also be VERY audible. After that, you'll hear a terrible, horrible metallic grinding noise... that's when you know your pads are totally gone, and you've destroyed your brake rotors, discs etc....

It's not likely that it's a warped disc (unless you like dunking hot brakes into deep creek crossings.... trust me I've been there done that in my Landcruiser :blink: ).

Costwise for brakes, if I were in your position, I would much rather let my mechanic sort it out for me. I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks and get the job done right for something that'll mean the difference between my a$$ stopping in time, or going SPLAT against the back of a truck.

At the very least, have it checked out by a mechanic. I personally believe brakes are something you should NOT cheap out on maintenance, ever :nono: .

If they're original pads from new, then getting 75,000km out of them is very good in terms of how long they've lasted (I don't know what your driving style is, though!).

Hope this helps!

BB

Thanks for that BB - I do give her a bit of a punt every now and again but the first 63k were done by the Blue Nurses - the good folks that help the elderly out with their shopping etc so I figure she's been very gently treated for most of her life.

I'll get some new pads on asap - my Dad used to be a mechanic so I might see if he can fit them - otherwise I'll get her in for her 75k service a few thousand k's early.

Thanks again BB.