Power Steering Pump Leaking

Hi Guys, 

I had my tyres rotated and balanced today and when the car was on the hoist, the mechanic reported that the power steering pump and RH drive shaft were leaking. 

I checked the power steering reservoir when I got home and the fluid was at the correct level (HOT). 

I had recently noticed a very small amount of fluid on the garage floor which appeared to be directly underneath the power steering pump. 

My question is (given that the leak appears to be minor) is whether or not I should use a stop-leak additive? 

Some of them on the SCA website have quite good reviews. 

I would appreciate any advice and recommendations. 

Are you sure it's the power steering pump that is leaking? A rego inspection on my 2007 also said the power steering pump was leaking but in actual fact it's the front timing cover that is leaking, a very common issue on the V6. The oil basically runs down onto the power steering pump making it appear like it is leaking. I'd just keep an eye on the power steering pump reservoir like you are already doing and not add anything. The level in my reservoir hasn't moved for years.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rimsy, that's a very interesting question! 

I'm relying on what the mechanic told me. 

He also said that the RH drive shaft leak could be fluid that has dripped from the power steering pump which I'm assuming is situated above. 

Wouldn't he know the difference between engine oil from the timing cover and power steering fluid or do they look and feel similar? 

Your suggestion to just monitor the PSP reservoir is logical so I will do that before I take any further action. 

I'm assuming that a front timing cover seal replacement if required is a big job? 

Thanks again for your reply which is much appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Jacaranda said:

He also said that the RH drive shaft leak could be fluid that has dripped from the power steering pump which I'm assuming is situated above. 

Wouldn't he know the difference between engine oil from the timing cover and power steering fluid or do they look and feel similar? 

Drive-shaft oil leak (if coming from the diff oil seal area) would be transmission fluid, not engine oil.  ATF and PS fluid are very similar (and some cars will run ATF in the power steering system anyway).

If the "driveshaft leak" is from a CV/tripod joint then it would be grease, very different to both engine oil and PS/ATF.

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 9:01 AM, Jacaranda said:

Thanks Rimsy, that's a very interesting question! 

I'm relying on what the mechanic told me. 

Your suggestion to just monitor the PSP reservoir is logical so I will do that before I take any further action. 

I'm assuming that a front timing cover seal replacement if required is a big job? 

Thanks again for your reply which is much appreciated. 

You need to remove the engine to fix the front timing cover leak so not worth considering.

• Thanks 1

Do you mean that the repair cost would be so high that it wouldn't be worth it on my 2008 Aurion? 

Maybe there's an oil additive to stop timing cover leaks? 😁