Get an air conditioner install

Hey guys,

I have a 1996 Corolla Hatchback, I had it for the past 4 years but since I got a new car now and my mother is driving it, I don't want her to be in the summer heat without proper air conditioning in the car.

Would it be better to just sell the car and get a new(second hand with aircon) one? Can I get an air conditioner install in the car? How much and where in Sydney?

I have tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything similar to this. If anyone does find something similar please forward, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

Nao

Might just need re-gassing of refridgerant R134 for car/air conditioning. Local mechanics do it if you want to trust them. But then again, might be a leaking/faulty compressor and to get that replaced then filled with refridgerant gas could cost like 700 or more. Even if you regas it for the summertime period and try find out the fault or leak after, its something.. and something is better than nothing. (for summer anyway)

Might just need re-gassing of refridgerant R134 for car/air conditioning. Local mechanics do it if you want to trust them. But then again, might be a leaking/faulty compressor and to get that replaced then filled with refridgerant gas could cost like 700 or more. Even if you regas it for the summertime period and try find out the fault or leak after, its something.. and something is better than nothing. (for summer anyway)

can't re-gas if i don't have an aircon to start with, don't have that A/C button in the car LOL

can't re-gas if i don't have an aircon to start with, don't have that A/C button in the car LOL

oh, so you're saying that an air con doesn't exist in the car. that's inconvinient.

oh, so you're saying that an air con doesn't exist in the car. that's inconvinient.

nope aircon doesn't exist in the car, well all i know is theres the normal fan which isn't much help during the hot summer day like yesterday >_<

It will be cheaper for you to find one with A/C but in my mind it pends on how good of an example your current car is and also how handy you are with a spanner. If i wanted to run A/C in the car personally it would be a visit to the pickapart to grab the setup ( it's a little bit of work but very possible ) you will need the compressor , bracket , condensor , lines , core ( or A/C radiator as some people call it which includes the fan ), Control facia and also the core that sits in the cabin next to the blower box.

Also factor in the price of a re-gas once all of this is installed and i dare say you will hit a fairly high cost pending what you can do yourself.

If you just went and asked a mechanic to fit it and source it for you there will be quotes for in excess of 2 grand as ive seen it before.

Hope this helps

Thats a lot of work just to install air con and am not that skilled with the tools as well..

Thanks for the info eviltwin. Might just put it on Carsales and go from there.

Thanks for all the replies guys.