where could the oil leak be from??!!

Jaym

Hi all,

I have an oil leak which is gathering at the lower side mounting bolts of the transaxle. ( lowest point ) However its deceiving.. I suspect the oil leak is from within the bell housing ( Input shaft seal ) rather than where the transaxle Mounts the Engine.

Any suggestions, or has anyone has this problem?

I took the car to the mechanic to get it checked out, the transmission was dead low on oil, he filled it but now the oil is coming out at the rate of knots.

Thanks for any advise :)

I probably did not go into it at the start enough. The mechanic was a local guy and he put it up on the hoist and checked it out. He said his gut feeling was input shaft seal. he took drain plug out and there was little/ no oil in the tranny. he dad to put plenty in to fill it. but he also said cant tell 100% without taking the gaerbox out and looking. I have a mate who is a 4th year apprentice, he also said input shaft seal.. so its looking that way, however i fear to take the gear box out and find a split case. I dont think i would be that unlucky. the car has been log book serviced on time with only 116,000kms on it. I have only owned for 1 week. this car is a echo Sportivo by the way. 2002 model.

I also know there is a chance of the clutch being contaminated in extreme cases. but nothing as of yet. The car also ceases leaking once turned off for a few hours. i think this may be due to the tranny shrinking when temp drops??

Oil will get thinner and leak when its warm, its not the tranny shrinking. I doubt anythings cracked just go get the seal replaced so you dont go and run the car with no oil in the tranny (then cause real damage).

It is very uncommon for an input shaft seal to leak on these boxes, especially at that low kms.

Well What else could it be then? I also have Blow-By, which means my PCV valve is shot o clogged. Bit of mech. work coming my way soon :D

Well What else could it be then?

If the oil is definately gearbox oil then the usual places for it to leak from is where the drive shafts enter the casing. Otherwise the only other places it can leak from is the fill & drain bolts, the joins between the various casings or cracks in the casings. But even those are in the "highly unusual for those kms" category.

I also have Blow-By, which means my PCV valve is shot o clogged. Bit of mech. work coming my way soon :D

Sounds like you inherited a 500 000km old drivetrain in a different chassis.

Its definately a strange one. Its not leaking where the shafts enter the casing. had it up on the hoist and checked. Engine drives too well for it to have done more than 120,000kms. I think previous owner skipped a few Services.. Tool, then i bought it... Bigger Tool...

So anyone up for changing an input seal? ;)

Well What else could it be then?

If the oil is definately gearbox oil then the usual places for it to leak from is where the drive shafts enter the casing. Otherwise the only other places it can leak from is the fill & drain bolts, the joins between the various casings or cracks in the casings. But even those are in the "highly unusual for those kms" category.

I also have Blow-By, which means my PCV valve is shot o clogged. Bit of mech. work coming my way soon :D

Sounds like you inherited a 500 000km old drivetrain in a different chassis.

Highly unusual for a seal to be leaking.. Should i be worried? crached casing?

Well What else could it be then? I also have Blow-By, which means my PCV valve is shot o clogged. Bit of mech. work coming my way soon :D

Blow-by does not indicate a stuffed or clogged PCV valve, the PCV valve's job is to vent blow-by gases into the intake when there is manifold vacuum (ie part or off throttle). A clogged PCV valve would present as blow-by gases being forced into the air intake upstream of the throttle (ie you might find oil pooling in your intake and a black air filter) or blowing the dipstick out of the tube (the PCV valve isn't allowing the crankcase to vent, thus the pressure builds up and pops the dipstick out). Blowby is caused by stuffed piston rings, a whole different kettle of fish entirely (bear in mind that all cars suffer some form of blow-by even when completely 100%).

I'll check tonight, but I have a sneaky suspicion that you have to disassemble the gearbox to change the input shaft seal. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Id rather that than having to say bore out the block. But like i said car goes to well to have a serious compression issue.