RPM reading at 110km/h 5th gear

Jaym

Hi Guys,

when on the highway doing 110km/h my RPM sits on around 3000-3200. Does anyone else get highish RPM at that speed?

I understand it must be a taller ratio causing this.. can the ratios be changed to reduce this??

Hi Guys,

when on the highway doing 110km/h my RPM sits on around 3000-3200. Does anyone else get highish RPM at that speed?

I understand it must be a taller ratio causing this.. can the ratios be changed to reduce this??

yeah my yaris sits at similar rpm... short of changing gearbox/diff no, you cant.

Remember, its a 1.5lt 4cyl engine, its not some 6 or 8 that can do 110 @ 2000rpm.

No worries then..

The gearbox ratios are interesting in them. I can be doing 60km/h on the flat and have it in 5th gear and still get a good dose of acceleration if i need it :)

You are probably better off cruising around at 60 in 4th... lower rpm does not always equal better fuel economy.

No worries then..

The gearbox ratios are interesting in them. I can be doing 60km/h on the flat and have it in 5th gear and still get a good dose of acceleration if i need it :)

You are probably better off cruising around at 60 in 4th... lower rpm does not always equal better fuel economy.

Really how does that work?

No worries then..

Really how does that work?

Engines run more efficiently at certain revs and throttle inputs. If you labour the engine too much (like trying to cruise at low speed in too high a gear) you'll pull the engine out of it's most efficient operating band, and coupled with the large throttle opening you'll need to keep it going you'll end up possibly using more fuel.