head unit removal

I remember a long while back when I first joined TOCAU, someone posted a bunch of instructions and pictures on how to remove the head unit from a zze corolla. if i remember correctly, the pictures were of a headunit removal/installation in a sportivo corolla. i'm looking for this thread... where the hell is it?

alternatively, if someone could tell me how to remove the damn thing that would be great! i have the plastic trims all off now and i'm faced with the bare factory head unit and and the metal cage holding it in...

Thanks mate. That's what I was looking for!

Anyway, I have a question. For the air conditioning vents shroud, is that meant to come off first before removing the head unit screws? Basically I've got the center bit with the A/C controls off.

Last time I saw a car audio store remove a head unit from a zze corolla, they yanked the shroud off first before pulling the HU out. So I'm not sure what I should be doing first...?

Pete's got it, remove the vents first and you'll be able to access the head unit... What I find a lot easier, is to also remove the centre trim with the ash tray, heater controls, etc... With that taken out, you're a lot less likely to drop the bolts down the back of the dash, which without magnetised sockets is very, very easy to do with this model...

When fitting the new unit in, make sure you've got the air vents attatched to the head unit and slide it in as one... This will ensure the air vent panel will fit correctly and not keep popping back out all the time...

Pete's got it, remove the vents first and you'll be able to access the head unit... What I find a lot easier, is to also remove the centre trim with the ash tray, heater controls, etc... With that taken out, you're a lot less likely to drop the bolts down the back of the dash, which without magnetised sockets is very, very easy to do with this model...

When fitting the new unit in, make sure you've got the air vents attatched to the head unit and slide it in as one... This will ensure the air vent panel will fit correctly and not keep popping back out all the time...

Okay, awesome. But doesn't the center trim with the heater controls etc. have to be removed anyway to access the top bit with the air vents and stuff?

Regardless, I am replacing the center trim that holds the ashtray and surround for the heater controls since some ***** has broken the lid to that storage box above the ashtray. :(

As for mounting the new unit in, it's a genuine Toyota unit... the "Follow me - navigation" unit, so I was gonna ask, in terms of screws, do I just reuse the screws from my current stock head unit?

Edited by stevo1210

Okay, awesome. But doesn't the center trim with the heater controls etc. have to be removed anyway to access the top bit with the air vents and stuff?

Regardless, I am replacing the center trim that holds the ashtray and surround for the heater controls since some ***** has broken the lid to that storage box above the ashtray. :(

As for mounting the new unit in, it's a genuine Toyota unit... the "Follow me - navigation" unit, so I was gonna ask, in terms of screws, do I just reuse the screws from my current stock head unit?

You should remove the centre console part for easy access and in case you drop a screw, it will be easy to get too.

And yes, its a stock stereo, you can use the same screws......tho it should come with a fresh set ;)

I'm going for a trip down to bunnings warehouse tomorrow...

so what tools do i need to do this properly?

I have a set of hex driver bits, there's a 10mm head in there but it's non magnetized... so I'm gonna somehow source out a magnetized one (better safe than sorry later on). The hex bit I'm looking for is 10mm right...?

As for screws, seeing as I'm re-using those from my current head unit, will I need any special screws to mount the "ears" onto the new head unit?

On the side of my replacement head unit it says M5x8mm... I think this is referring to the screw sizes?

Thanks.