Engine Rattle (4age bigport)

Hey All,

got a new years question for you.

noticed late dec that the car began to have a slight rattly noise which seems to be coming from the exhaust side cam cover near the distributor. Havent driven it more than 2km since first noticed the noise

The noise is sometimes there at idle (when idling high >1k) otherwise it doesnt appear until you rev it up to over 1000rpm and ratles then dissapears when revs increase to say 2k and higher then reappears at same point as the revs die down to idle.

I have had the screw driver to my ear and have held it on many spots on the cam cover and the actual rattly noise to my ears does not appear to be internal, as i can hear the tapping sounds of the engine like normal and the rattly sound appears to be heard external not via screw driver.

i have no heat shield as extractors, checked torque on cam covers and all proper @ 13nm.

The sound seems to be mainly around area to the right of distributor (when standing in front of car) and can best be described as rattly then dies off to silent.

I did a small drive around the block and i reckon it could be getting slightly more prominent.....

any ideas ?

cheers in advance

ill try to record it and add a vid in next few days.

Hey All,

got a new years question for you.

noticed late dec that the car began to have a slight rattly noise which seems to be coming from the exhaust side cam cover near the distributor. Havent driven it more than 2km since first noticed the noise

The noise is sometimes there at idle (when idling high >1k) otherwise it doesnt appear until you rev it up to over 1000rpm and ratles then dissapears when revs increase to say 2k and higher then reappears at same point as the revs die down to idle.

I have had the screw driver to my ear and have held it on many spots on the cam cover and the actual rattly noise to my ears does not appear to be internal, as i can hear the tapping sounds of the engine like normal and the rattly sound appears to be heard external not via screw driver.

i have no heat shield as extractors, checked torque on cam covers and all proper @ 13nm.

The sound seems to be mainly around area to the right of distributor (when standing in front of car) and can best be described as rattly then dies off to silent.

I did a small drive around the block and i reckon it could be getting slightly more prominent.....

any ideas ?

cheers in advance

ill try to record it and add a vid in next few days.

Does it sound like a rattle or a vibration? Do you still have the heat shield on the distributor?

sounds like a rattle.

heat shield is still on distributor, i will do a few checks over weekend as i havent done a lot of investigation yet.

its a rattle, but could be caused by vibration at certain revs i guess ?

sounds like a rattle.

heat shield is still on distributor, i will do a few checks over weekend as i havent done a lot of investigation yet.

its a rattle, but could be caused by vibration at certain revs i guess ?

Resonant vibration in heat-shields etc is a very distinctive noise, and tends to only occur at narrow rpm ranges, so it should be fairly easy to diagnose.