Please Help: '97 Hilux Oils

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help me determine what oils I need for my Manual Dual-Cab 1997 Diesel 4x4 LN106R Hilux.

I read the Gregory's manual, and it says:

Engine -- SAE 20W/40 CD or better

- Sump Capacity 4 wheel drive: With Filter (5.3 litres)

Manual Trans -- SAE 75W/90 GL4 or GL5 (3.9 litres)

Transfer Case -- SAE 75W/90 GL4 or GL5

- Planetary Gear Type (1.1 litres)

- Counter Gear Type (1.6 litres)

Front Axle

- With ADD System: SAE 75W/90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL5

- Without ADD System: SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL5

Capacity:

- With ADD System: 1.9 litres

- Independent Suspension Without ADD System: 1.6 litres

- Rigid Front Axle: 2.3 litres

Rear Axle

- Limited Slip Differential: SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL5 for Limited Slip Differential

- Except Limited Slip Differential: SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil GL5

So I went down to Autobahn and talked to some American guy there, and he said to ignore what the manual says because it was last reprinted in 2002 and instead follow the Penrite Oil guide that they have hanging up there, which was dated 2009. He said the manual wasn't correct because it was talking about oil for a NEW Hilux, as it would have been in 1997 or 98, and that because it was an older car now, and that oils had changed since then, that it was best to use the Penrite selection and specs.

So I looked at the guide, and under Hilux Diesel 4x4 LN106 it said:

- Engine -- HPR Diesel 20W-60

- Manual Trans and Trans Case -- MGO SAE 80W-85

- Front and Read Diff -- Hypoid Gear Oil 80W-90

So I bought all of those oils, to the capacity of what the manual said, which was the same as what Penrite said, and replaced the Engine oil and the filter.

I then jumped online to checkout some videos on changing the diff oils to get a clear idea of what to do, and noticed some forums saying that 20W-60 is too thick to use as engine oil.

So now I am worried I have used the incorrect oil for the engine, based on this guy's advice, and that I may have also got the incorrect oils for the diffs and transmission.

Also, when I was filling the engine oil, I put about 5 litres in, and then ran the engine a bit, and then put the rest in, but instead of putting a total of 5.3 litres, I put in about 5.8, which is the capacity for the 2 wheel drive model, i don't think this is a major problem, but let me know if I should drain some...

Can anyone tell me if I have stuffed up, and if so, are there major consequences? I would assume there is no problem running this engine oil for the next 4000-5000 kms and then replacing with say 15W-40, which is apparently what other people on the internet have said to use.

Also, in regards to the ADD system, I have got the H2-H4-N-L4 gear system, does this mean I have an ADD system?

And does the capacity there for the diffs matter? I mean, if I am filling it through the top sump plug, to the point that I can't put anymore in because it will flow out of that top plug (not the draining plug), doesn't that mean "capacity"? or do the squeeze and fill method with a hose attached fill beyond that?

By the way, I have found Autobahn to be excellent in all their other advices, however this American guy was trying to fob me off, and make me feel stupid for asking these questions about the oils, and being very sarcastic and arrogant, which really sucks, cos every other bloke there is fine.

Cheers for any advice :)

• 11 months later...

WHEN I HAD MY HILUX I USED 15W40 FOR THE ENGINE AND THAT WAS FOR 98 DIESEL WHICH HAD 5L MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION OIL 75W90GL4, FOR BOTH DIFFS I USED SAE90 HYPOID GEAR OIL GL5 FOR LSD, TRANSFER CASE 75W90 GL4 AS FOR FILLING THE DIFFS WHEN THE OIL COMES OUT THE TOP PLUG THATS WHEN THERE FULL, AS FOR OVER FILLING THEM THE OIL WILL JUST KEEP COMING OUT THE FILLER PLUG. ADD SYSTEM IS ON THE SR5 MODELS ONLY SO IF YOU HAVE MANUAL HUBS YOUR HILUX HASENT GOT ADD SYSTEM. HOPE THAT HELPS MATE,