Ford Laser TX3 Turbo problem

Hey all, Ford Laser TX3 Turbo FWD KF 1990....

I turn a corner, and the car wont rev? it jerks, no power...

I flat foot in 2nd gear on a straight, and the car revs up but cuts out as the revs are increasing

im running 12psi, my g-reddy boost controller screen shows the boost is dropping when the car jerks...

Im curious it may be fuel pressure problems ( due to me turning it cuts out, used to be only when under 1/4 a tank, now it does it at 1/2 tank, and the car idles like crap ) , whats the pressure meant to be? ill wack a guage on it this weekend so see if the pressure drops as i turn a corner to source the problem & check it @ idle.....

cheers, any other thoughts will be appreciated...

Map sensor maybe(if they run them). Does it do it at a certain RPM?

its got a maf, its a door type depending how much air is flowing through depends how far the flap is open...

why would a map do that while turning??

btw no vacuum leaks present !

plus, oil, air, fuel filters blah blah is all good, i rebuilt it last august with pistons, rings, bearings, all that jazz & the head service, new seals, etcetc... no hassels till now....

Edited by 123R-Prozak

Keeping in mind that the turbo is driven by the exhaust gasses from the motor, this would likely cause the loss of pressure shown on the guage. If the problem is a lack of fuel then I would be very careful driving with any gusto as the motor will lean out causing damage to the valves and pistons just like an oxy torch. The fuel pump may be the problem and can be a major job to replace but I would definately have the pump pressure tested.

Hope it is not too expensive for you to fix

Regards

its got a maf, its a door type depending how much air is flowing through depends how far the flap is open...

Thats why i asked is it at a certain rpm, because my camry went spastic until i changed the map sensor at 4k rpm

Keeping in mind that the turbo is driven by the exhaust gasses from the motor, this would likely cause the loss of pressure shown on the guage. If the problem is a lack of fuel then I would be very careful driving with any gusto as the motor will lean out causing damage to the valves and pistons just like an oxy torch. The fuel pump may be the problem and can be a major job to replace but I would definately have the pump pressure tested.

Hope it is not too expensive for you to fix

Regards

yeh man its why i want to know what the pressure should be, tho i spose it doesnt matter aye if it drops while turnings theres def a problem....

Thats why i asked is it at a certain rpm, because my camry went spastic until i changed the map sensor at 4k rpm

nah no certain rpm just turning weather its 2nd gear at a roundabout @ 3,000rpm, or 3rd gear @ 2,000rpm.. just turning...

As said before used to only do it @ 1/4 tank, now it does it at 1/2 a tank...

Ok then I would start thinking about fuel filters(last time changed?) the in-tank may be blocked, fuel pump could be a possiblilty, not sure why on corners though, maybe be a loose wire/bad connection.

Filter replaced November. In the engine bay!

I lifted up the back seat, and checked the connection to the fuel pump, also tightened the terminals too..

Would be funny if the pump fell out of the housing in the tank and a easy fix..

The filter may have got some crap from the tank in it in the past 4 months. Migt be worth checking still as it is fairly easy to do. But check the pump/pressure, sounds like a good place to start to me.

yup will do saturday...

BTW THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED LAST AUGUST!

188654_199195106771503_100000430449890_662025_2324362_n.jpg

188654_199195103438170_100000430449890_662024_3862664_n.jpg

188654_199195100104837_100000430449890_662023_3583688_n.jpg

OMG that would be heartbreaking. Also wallet breaking. I have no further suggestions but please keep us up to date on what is going on this time.

Cheers and good luck

Edited by 01 VEY

Not that heart breaking very cheap rebuild as I did it myself

Anyways fixed,

Put the guage on it, stuck it to the windshield, road tested dropped to 11psi while going around a round about, driving at around 45psi..

Replaced fuel pump, road tested again didn't drop, goes hard now :)

That must have been a relief to have the job not a huge one. Happy for you that the pump was an easy fix too.

The Laser sounds like a whole lo of fun.

Yeh easy,

The laser has had it's probe I must say, but it's very fun as it's a sleeper. Only thing showing it off is dba hold series rotors and calipers. Looks completely stock, but very fun espesh when you give cars a go and they are suprised, as soon as they hear the b.o.v their eyes open