1970 Toyota Corona RT80 or is it an RT81?

Pikey

Hey guys, I have just managed to get hold of 2 Toyota Coronas that I am going to make one good one out of for my son.

I have a couple of things that I want to resolve. The first one is more a question for the experts on Coronas.

Right here goes, the first one we have is a 1971 Toyota Corona RT80 which had a 2R engine, we managed to get an old 12R that we were rebuilding, when I managed to get the second car, this is when it got really confusing.

It is a 1971 Toyota Corona RT81 with a 12R, however both these cars are exactly the same and I mean exactly, other than one having a 1.5 2R and the other a 1.6 12R, they are the same cars, yet both the chassis numbers and plates show that they are different models.

The only other differences between the cars, is the RT81 has a 1600 badge on the boot (not sure if it is original), a nice Corona badge on the bonnet and a bench seat and the RT80 doesn't have the 2 badges and has no bench seat.

Now for the second question, even though I replaced all the parts in the brakes, they are still drum brakes.....so they have to go, I want to replace the front drums with disk brakes and I have searched the internet for information, but am struggling to work out what parts I need.

What stub axles, rotors and callipers will fit and what parts do I require to make this conversion?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Disk brakes were an option for RT80/81 Corona's and are a popular upgrade for RT40's. You don't have to replace the stub axles. The backing plates bolt up to the drum brake stub axles (as they do for RT40 Corona's). You just replace your original master cylinder with the one with a booster on the disk brake models, along with all the front end parts including the proportioning valve. If you look at the drivers side inner guard it should have a depression in it to accomodate the booster. On the RT40's you have to beat a depression into the guard to fit the booster. I am looking to purchase a RT81 with disk brakes, but I dont need the brake parts. If you want all the parts that are needed for a disk brake conversion I can sell them to you for $200.00.

John

johnnyrhino@msn.com

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Disk brakes were an option for RT80/81 Corona's and are a popular upgrade for RT40's. You don't have to replace the stub axles. The backing plates bolt up to the drum brake stub axles (as they do for RT40 Corona's). You just replace your original master cylinder with the one with a booster on the disk brake models, along with all the front end parts including the proportioning valve. If you look at the drivers side inner guard it should have a depression in it to accomodate the booster. On the RT40's you have to beat a depression into the guard to fit the booster. I am looking to purchase a RT81 with disk brakes, but I dont need the brake parts. If you want all the parts that are needed for a disk brake conversion I can sell them to you for $200.00.

John

johnnyrhino@msn.com

I have a '72 RT80 with drum brakes front and back. Wouldn't mind upgrading to disks on the front as the drums are wearing out anyway. Are those disk brake parts still available?

Otherwise, is there another option like swapping a braking system out of an early model celica?