Sera Starter Motor - Urgent reply needed

Hi all, I urgently need your opinion. A friend's Sera Starter Motor is faulty. Had a check with an Auto Electrician and it was burnout. I am searching for her a 2nd hand motor but unable to find one. Was told that a new motor cost her $330 but is way to high for her to purchase now. I went to a wreckers and they suggest to me that I use a Toyota Starlet '98. (2nd hand though) I looked at the size and teeth and they looked similar. The 2 difference are the bolt hole where 1 of it does not have a screw thread and the contact point is difference size.

Is it possible to use it if I drill the screw thread hole away?

I can connect the wire with a smaller clip and then attached the wires together, can I?

Not sure about this one...

Normally wreckers do give some form of warranty, usually 3-6 months.

Maybe call the wreckers in the morning and ask them if it doesnt fit, is it possible to return it....

id say the same thing, the starlets all have a 4EFE engine you need to perhaps try the austarlet club...they all starlet GT's with the 4EFTE engines which are the same as the sera, they would be your best bet

Paseos should be a closer match to the Sera, they ran the 1.5L 5EFE (lower compression version of the Sera's 5EFHE) instead of the 4EFE in the Starlets.

Hi guys, thanks for the input.. Appreciate it very much..

01 vey, the part number is 26100-11020 and I see below it this numbers: 128000-8890

The ones in bold, I am unable to see clearly and I can just guess. Not sure which is which. Thanks.

Just to add, I could have seen it wrongly... It could be 28100 - 11090???? Sorry, it is hard to see.

Edited by Fredrick

Hey Frederick

The starter seems to be one that I can't find through any reference sites in Australia. I have an American site which my boss uses regularly but even that has very little about this one. The numbers are Denso 128000-8890 and Toyota 28100-11020. According to the site the starter also suits the 92-96 1.5 Tercel and Paseo. They also said that the starter from the 96-99 models of these will fit and although it is a bit shorter seems to be rated at the same power output. The numbers for those are 228000-4030 and 28100-11090. Sorry for getting your hopes up but I can't find anything other than a solenoid and maybe a set of brushes to repair it.

Regards

Mark

Hey Frederick

The starter seems to be one that I can't find through any reference sites in Australia. I have an American site which my boss uses regularly but even that has very little about this one. The numbers are Denso 128000-8890 and Toyota 28100-11020. According to the site the starter also suits the 92-96 1.5 Tercel and Paseo. They also said that the starter from the 96-99 models of these will fit and although it is a bit shorter seems to be rated at the same power output. The numbers for those are 228000-4030 and 28100-11090. Sorry for getting your hopes up but I can't find anything other than a solenoid and maybe a set of brushes to repair it.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

thanks for the effort. No worries abt it.. Will do more research and see if Paseo starter motor is compatible. Will update you later. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, really appreciate your input and help. I found the same serial number starter motor and fitted to my friend's car. Now she said it started fine and am happy about it. Thanks again....... Have a good one......