Why am i always beating the synchros??

Hey guys, yet another gearbox topic. :huh: This time its "beating the synchros" and i have had that happening since Day 1. It feels like your synchros are stuffed or you have simply mis-shifted but it isn't as i'm not that bad a driver. It's definitely "beating the synchros" and i know it as it only happens when i try to race or drive it hard doing a FAST 1-2 shift but my clutch pedal is fully depressed and no problems coming out of 1st gear, and then crunch.. wouldn't go into 2nd even with my clutch pedal still fully depressed.. so no driver error there! It has probably happened to me a dozen times now since the day i bought my Stivo and it usually happens when the weather is cold (but car well warmed up). I use Castrol Syntrax 75W90 Full Synthetic MTL and its the recommended viscosity. I alos add Nulon G70 MTL additive and it helps but i haven't added it recently. What abt people using Redline oils.. do yous still beat the synchros every now and then when you shift real fast?

Or could it be the double synchros in the 6 speed's 2nd gear? It only happens intermittently but there was one night it happened twice in succession when i raced someone! Then the following day i drove it HARD chirped tyres 2nd gear and all that jazz and no probs.. so its very intermittent.

From what i have read i think my hand is moving too fast for the synchros (aka shifting too fast).. <_< So people that shift SLOW will not have this issue :P

I know even the Honda NSX, a $250,000 car can also have this 1-2 beat synchro problem.

Finally, what sort of damage will i be looking at when the gearbox has had enough with my "beating the synchros" :unsure: But i think the double synchro 2nd gear in our 6 seed is pretty strong, but has anyone here been told by Toyota they have stuffed synchros / shift linkages and had them replaced?

Cheers,

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

When that happened to me.. I swapped to redline shockproof superlight and it seems to have gone away..

Try that first.. And if that doesn't work.. It's could be the slave cylinder. Get a Extended clutch slave cylinder pushrod put in. Also, try loosening or tightening the clutch freeplay I think it was. Theres a tech article on newcelica.org somewhere.

http://speed-source.net/ for clutch slave cylinder pushrod

When that happened to me.. I swapped to redline shockproof superlight and it seems to have gone away..

Try that first.. And if that doesn't work.. It's could be the slave cylinder. Get a Extended clutch slave cylinder pushrod put in. Also, try loosening or tightening the clutch freeplay I think it was. Theres a tech article on newcelica.org somewhere.

I think it has something to do with my freah gearbox oil, i change it very frequently and ever since i got the fresh lot in after my new clutch i have been beating the synchros more.. also because i am shifting sooo much faster after the sticky gear problem's gone! :P I also had Nulon G70 before but i don't have it now so that is my suspicion.

I think it has something to do with my freah gearbox oil, i change it very frequently and ever since i got the fresh lot in after my new clutch i have been beating the synchros more.. also because i am shifting sooo much faster after the sticky gear problem's gone! :P I also had Nulon G70 before but i don't have it now so that is my suspicion.

It's more likely to be your upgraded clutch. Nothing to do with the gearbox oil i doubt, although it may make it slightly easier to shift. Get the extended push rod and that should fix the problem.