Toyota Camry MCV36R Maximum Rim Size??

trd850

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody know what is the maximum rim size that I can fit to my 2005 Toyota Camry Grande MCV36R? On the placard drivers frame it states recommended tyre size: 205/60/R16 92H and rim size 6JJ

I have tried a set of 20" x 8.5" Advanti's at a tyre shop here in perth but when the new rim was placed on the rear wheel, it didn't fit! It touches against the strut/spring section in the wheel wall. It was recommended by the wheel rep.

Ian diffens website have a wheel selector app, after entering my car details 2005 Toyota camry, it recommended wheel sizes of 19" x 8.5" as suitable?

On Bob Janes virtual wheel app, the largest wheel suitable i could find was a 19"x8" wheel size.

Has anyone changed their stock wheels to something bigger, without having to modify their suspension?

Please let me know...I am curious about other camry owners who have upsized!

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Kind regards!

Matt =)

Insurance wise your not suppose to have anything wider then 7 inch...

I have seen the following sizes on the Gen 5 (without mods).

18 X 7.5 (Kappa)

18 X 8

19 X 7.5

19 X 8 (these were rubbing when turning corners)

Also, what you need to be careful of when having wider rims is that you could change the distance of the wheel track which can be illegal, plus non- standard tye size will alter the speedometer reading.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody know what is the maximum rim size that I can fit to my 2005 Toyota Camry Grande MCV36R? On the placard drivers frame it states recommended tyre size: 205/60/R16 92H and rim size 6JJ

I have tried a set of 20" x 8.5" Advanti's at a tyre shop here in perth but when the new rim was placed on the rear wheel, it didn't fit! It touches against the strut/spring section in the wheel wall. It was recommended by the wheel rep.

Ian diffens website have a wheel selector app, after entering my car details 2005 Toyota camry, it recommended wheel sizes of 19" x 8.5" as suitable?

On Bob Janes virtual wheel app, the largest wheel suitable i could find was a 19"x8" wheel size.

Has anyone changed their stock wheels to something bigger, without having to modify their suspension?

Please let me know...I am curious about other camry owners who have upsized!

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Kind regards!

Matt =)

Hey there TRD850

I have a white Camry Sportivo 05/06 I changed my standard alloy rims for a set of 18 x 8 CSA Motovaters I have low profile rubber wrapped around them keeping the overall size of the wheel/tyre close to the original size, but as the rim is bigger it looks great.

I was told that I could have gone up to 19 x 8 ( by Bob Jane's too!) but another tyre store, that I have used for a long time, told me of the issues of rubbing when turning also the tyres for the19 x 8 were very expensive.

Good luck

Mike

Hey there TRD850

I have a white Camry Sportivo 05/06 I changed my standard alloy rims for a set of 18 x 8 CSA Motovaters I have low profile rubber wrapped around them keeping the overall size of the wheel/tyre close to the original size, but as the rim is bigger it looks great.

I was told that I could have gone up to 19 x 8 ( by Bob Jane's too!) but another tyre store, that I have used for a long time, told me of the issues of rubbing when turning also the tyres for the19 x 8 were very expensive.

Good luck

Mike

For reference, on my Gen5 I had rubbing issues running 18x8 Advanti wheels on superlow springs. I had to have the rear guards rolled. I had the front guards rolled as well but there is enough clearance there to kill a small elephant.

Unless you're really keen on going bigger and thus changing a few things around, i.e. rolling guards, then its probably best to stick with either 18 x 8 or 18 x 7.5, I've got 18 x 7.5 and they fill out the guards a lot better than the 17s from stock, though there is plenty of space and I want to move to coilovers in the future. As Andrew said with lowering most likely the guards will need rolling, which isn't the biggest issue but if you don't want to modify then stick with 18s, as mentioned the tyres will be much cheaper too :) Plus there is a lot of choice in both wheels and tyres in that range too ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't go any bigger than 18"x7.5 with 225/40/18" tyres.

18x8" with 235/40/18" tyres will fit on the Gen5 no problem. They won't scrub on King Low springs but I had scrub issues on superlow springs.

ah ok, learn something new every day..

just out of curiosity how far do the low kings lower the body?

Kings say the low springs will drop them 30mm all round; but my Sportivo only dropped about 25mm in the front and about the same in the rear.