ECU Recommendations

Hey Kiddies,

Its time to get serious with the vert project and I am looking for an ECU for it.

There are quite a few options out there, so I am wondering what people have had expirence in.

I am looking for decent value for money, and the option to use an ethanol sensor.

I have had a look at haltech, adaptronic so far...

Vipec would be my choice, I have had nothing but good results with them, they have default support for the 1UZ and also support the flex fuel sensor input for properly tuning the fuel and ignition maps.

Link G4 also does a good job but doesn't have the mixture map like the vipec, mixture map makes street tuning the fuel map a hell of a lot easier.

If you download the PCLink for the G4 ECU's from Link's site you can have a play with the 1uz map included in the download

The logging and interface on both the vipec and link is streets ahead of adaptronic. The adap's will also run the engine just fine.

Edited by CHA54

vvti 1U or standard 1U?

If it's vvti you may run out of inputs/outputs with a v44. Since it has 4 ignition and 4 injection outputs you run batched injectors and waste spark. For closed loop knock control you would also need an external knock amplifier with the V44. The V88 has two knock inputs built in, and a ton of inputs/outputs so you can run full sequential injection/ignition.

V88 is around $2400 from memory with a long loom, water temp and air temp sensors. Only extra bit you'd need is a map sensor.

V44 is around $1700 I think also with long loom water and air temp sensors. The V44 also has an on-board map sensor you can use or alternately use an external sensor like I did on Pippy's 1zzfte.

I've currently got my daily driver forester running on a V44 plugin board, it originally ran a V88 which I've now put onto my vvti 2jz cressida. The 2zz turbo AE82 I'm in the middle of putting together has a v44 sitting here for it, and I need to get another v44 for the ZZ powered AE92 I have to do after the AE82.

They work really well on toyota engines and reluctor triggers.

Some of the new haltech gear is also good apparently but I've had no personal experience with it. I've only used Adaptronic, Autronic, Vipec, PowerFC and the Emanage range.

vvti 1U or standard 1U?

If it's vvti you may run out of inputs/outputs with a v44. Since it has 4 ignition and 4 injection outputs you run batched injectors and waste spark. For closed loop knock control you would also need an external knock amplifier with the V44. The V88 has two knock inputs built in, and a ton of inputs/outputs so you can run full sequential injection/ignition.

V88 is around $2400 from memory with a long loom, water temp and air temp sensors. Only extra bit you'd need is a map sensor.

V44 is around $1700 I think also with long loom water and air temp sensors. The V44 also has an on-board map sensor you can use or alternately use an external sensor like I did on Pippy's 1zzfte.

I've currently got my daily driver forester running on a V44 plugin board, it originally ran a V88 which I've now put onto my vvti 2jz cressida. The 2zz turbo AE82 I'm in the middle of putting together has a v44 sitting here for it, and I need to get another v44 for the ZZ powered AE92 I have to do after the AE82.

They work really well on toyota engines and reluctor triggers.

Some of the new haltech gear is also good apparently but I've had no personal experience with it. I've only used Adaptronic, Autronic, Vipec, PowerFC and the Emanage range.

its a non VVTi 1UZ.. I was orig. leaning towards the adaptronic 440 select, it seems to have the features I want and alot of the blokes on toymods seem to like it... plus its a tad cheaper.

Yeah, the 420C has been discontinued and 440 has taken it's place. At least the 440 uses better Tyco/AMP loom plugs compared to the agricultural spec stuff on the 420C. Only downside to the 440 is the tuning interface and the logging, hopefully the guys will put some time into that to make it better in the future. I deal with the QLD Adaptronic distributor a lot.

Yeah, the 420C has been discontinued and 440 has taken it's place. At least the 440 uses better Tyco/AMP loom plugs compared to the agricultural spec stuff on the 420C. Only downside to the 440 is the tuning interface and the logging, hopefully the guys will put some time into that to make it better in the future. I deal with the QLD Adaptronic distributor a lot.

What is a 440 Select worth these days?

Im running the Adaptronic 440 in my turbo rolla. Runs sweet. Had Andy install and tune it himself in Sydney. No regrets. So many great features plus the usual options of laptop control etc.

I have a haltec interceptor, had it in my V6 hilux until i sold it.

I think it may suit your 1uz so pm me if your keen.

I paid $1500 installed, but id'e be happy to part with it for $300

:)