Aircon Compressor Dead?

Hey Guys,

I have an 06 Aurion ZR6 and recently was overtaking a vehicle when i heard a brief squealing sound then loss of all aircon, with the aircon light flashing.

I took it to toyota and there first suggestions are that the compressor is dead. I have my car booked in with them this thursday for them to check this out.

My car has only done 70,000ks so is very frustrating that something like this could already be failing on the car.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or am i just very unlucky?

Hey Guys,

I have an 06 Aurion ZR6 and recently was overtaking a vehicle when i heard a brief squealing sound then loss of all aircon, with the aircon light flashing.

I took it to toyota and there first suggestions are that the compressor is dead. I have my car booked in with them this thursday for them to check this out.

My car has only done 70,000ks so is very frustrating that something like this could already be failing on the car.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience or am i just very unlucky?

Im sorry to hear that mate..any chances of warranty left on your car? i havent heard of anyone having their aircon dying out on an 06' Aurion..hope its not a costly repair..the last time i had my air con lights blinking for few seconds was when i kind of surged the terminals of the battery while doing my HID kit installation..but it resumed to work after i had turned off the car and started again...

Blinking A/C should mean either:

* Compressor solenoid circuit (mechanical or electrical problem)

* A/C amplifier (ECU)

I have a new compressor available for sale. Send me a PM if it works out to be the case and you don't like the Toyota part price ...

Well i had a look last night and am now certain my self that the compressor has failed as i can see sparks coming from the front of the compressor when i engage the aircon.

I have researched about aftermarket compressors and apparently no one makes an aftermarket compressor for the aurions yet.

Everyone that i have spoken to so far has just said that its not unheard of happening at such low k's but that ive just been one of the unlucky ones.

Unfortunately i am out of warranty also.

Well i had a look last night and am now certain my self that the compressor has failed as i can see sparks coming from the front of the compressor when i engage the aircon.

I have researched about aftermarket compressors and apparently no one makes an aftermarket compressor for the aurions yet.

Everyone that i have spoken to so far has just said that its not unheard of happening at such low k's but that ive just been one of the unlucky ones.

Unfortunately i am out of warranty also.

Out of curiosity, did you ever work out how much a new compressor costs? I had a friend not too long ago who came across a similar issue, but in his case it didn't result in sparks out the front of the compressor... his lost a seal on the compressor. If there are sparks, that sounds like the clutch could be faulty on the compressor to me - which is quite rare.

If the warranty only ran out recently, still try going to Toyota, as there is often an "implied" warranty that lasts for a little while beyond the end of warranty term which may cover something like this.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Thought i would let you all know that i have aircon again :D My local toyota dealer submitted a warranty claim which took into account the age of the vehicle and the kms, and they came back and said they would pay half, which was a fair enough agreement i thought considering afterall my car was out of warranty.

Without the warranty discount the total cost fitted for the compressor, clutch and regas etc came back at around $1125.

Anyway can say im now a happy toyota customer.