Ae101 4afe Exhaust

Hi guys.

Recently my beloved rolla has developed a nasty rattle that occurs around an indicated 3000rpm. Have taken the exhaust off from cat back and found that apart from it being really really loud ( of course i know no exhaust would do that ) the rattle seems to have vanished. After that i reconnected the exhaust except the rear muffler and i still had the rattle which makes me believe its the resonator. Having not much money ( uni student ) replacing the resonator with another stock one is out of the question. I've found a mild steel hotdog style muffler on ebay that i can get a friend to weld in. Other option is to get the resonator cut out completely, however i have done some research and found that any car is super raspy without a resonator. Would love to get info from other people from past experiences etc. Oh heres the ebay link for reference.http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MILD-STEEL-HOTDOG-MUFFLER-12-LONG-2-DIAMETER-/160579870197?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25634e5df5#ht_648wt_702

I'd check the heat-shields first before singling out the resonator. Mine developed a rattle at very similar revs and it turned out the upper heat shield on the cat had snapped all but one of its welds.

The heat shields look fine, nothing seems loose at all in the engine bay. Just gave everything exhaust related a quick tighten up ( excluding manifold to block bolts ). When i drive it the noise seems to come from the front half of the car. Bloody frustrating. Oh well i've just bought the ebay item anyways, my stock resonator is in pretty bad nick, would hurt to replace it anyway. Thanks for the help

The heat shields look fine, nothing seems loose at all in the engine bay

Nah not the engine bay heat shield, the ones that sit above the exhaust and the cat in the transmission tunnel

Sorry, my mistake in replying. When i took the exhaust off i took the oppurtunity to check all the heat shields, engine bay and underbody. Although they are slightly rusty ( as you would expect of a car this age ) all heat shields look okay. Will get the exhaust shop to check it out when it goes in next week.If not then i might borrow some car ramps off a friend and spend a day under there with a flashlight.