error codes 12 & 13 - ST184

martin-A

So cummuting to work last week my car had suddenly stalled and over the weekend it had happened again. No engine light when engine is running but during diagnostic mode i get error codes 12 & 13. Ref Haynes Repair Manual:

Code 12 - RPM signal

No "Ne" signal to the ECM within several seconds after the engine is cranked.

No "G" signal to ECM two times in succession when engine speed is between 500rpm and 4000rpm

Code 13 - RPM signal

No "Ne" signal to ECM engine speed is above 1500rpm

After initial stall the car will not start but couple times has started but had switched off again within 30sec. Also if allowed to cool a little I may get a further 10mins of driving if im lucky.

Has anyone experienced this troubles or have knowledge to rectify this issue? Any help is much appreciated!

sounds like a dizzy problem, In the mrs ST184 and ST204 I have had problems with the dizzy,coil. The coil is in the dizzy on these models. With mine they both stalled and did not restart, first time coil, 2nd time it shorted out in the dizzy and blew the main fuse, 3rd time it was the coil again.

no engine light on though,When it doesnt start check if it has spark, if no spark, I would lean towards a dizzy. You can change the coil itself, about $180,thats what I put in the 184, when it shat itself in the 204, I just got a 2nd hand dizzy from the wreckers, that was $50. The 3rd time I made 1 good dizzy out of 2. still running good

Um im very reluctant to admit my dizzy or coil assembly could be the fault, cos i did replace them with brand new parts late last year and pretty sure spark is always there. Tested leads and coil assembly, resistance pretty poor so replaced the leads and coil assembly fine. Also my celica is 1990 so separate coil and dizzy.

Um im very reluctant to admit my dizzy or coil assembly could be the fault, cos i did replace them with brand new parts late last year and pretty sure spark is always there. Tested leads and coil assembly, resistance pretty poor so replaced the leads and coil assembly fine. Also my celica is 1990 so separate coil and dizzy.

ECU issue maybe?

ECU issue maybe?

I was thinking along the same line, but I have not idea where to begin. Are there any simple test to that can be done on ECU to determine any further errors or faults? And could adjusting the timing within safe range disrupt any electrical components? As I think this may have contributed to the error codes being present.

ECU issue maybe?

I was thinking along the same line, but I have not idea where to begin. Are there any simple test to that can be done on ECU to determine any further errors or faults? And could adjusting the timing within safe range disrupt any electrical components? As I think this may have contributed to the error codes being present.

I would just be getting another ECU and testing it... as for timing i ran mine at 14dbtdc before and it was fine.

I would just be getting another ECU and testing it... as for timing i ran mine at 14dbtdc before and it was fine.

would any st184 ECU do? or would i have to get the specific 5sfe year and transmition ECU?

The timing i spoke off, i meant that i've adjusted it numerous times and suspect that that may have contributed to my issues. Any further suggestions or questions are welcomed (not really enjoying car pooling atm)

would any st184 ECU do? or would i have to get the specific 5sfe year and transmition ECU?

The timing i spoke off, i meant that i've adjusted it numerous times and suspect that that may have contributed to my issues. Any further suggestions or questions are welcomed (not really enjoying car pooling atm)

What year was your car made? what transmission is it?

ECU issue maybe?

Have replaced the ECU with one from wreckers and so far cold start seems alot smoother, drivings fine and no error codes BUT... still had the engine shut off.

This time drove about 10mins and when i parked i noticed idle speed lowered alil and after abit of shoppin started her up again, let her idle for a min before then all of a sudden engine swithces off. Car started again but pretty much jus shut off before getting to idle speed. Gave it an more than an hour before trying again and got home, let it idle but engine quit again after 2mins of idling. (Still no error codes)

Any ideas? Also recieved another error code before fitment of ECU on top of 12 & 13 --> 43

Starter Signal

No "STA" signal to the ECM until engine speed reaches 800rpm with the vehicle not moving.

ECU issue maybe?

Have replaced the ECU with one from wreckers and so far cold start seems alot smoother, drivings fine and no error codes BUT... still had the engine shut off.

This time drove about 10mins and when i parked i noticed idle speed lowered alil and after abit of shoppin started her up again, let her idle for a min before then all of a sudden engine swithces off. Car started again but pretty much jus shut off before getting to idle speed. Gave it an more than an hour before trying again and got home, let it idle but engine quit again after 2mins of idling. (Still no error codes)

Any ideas? Also recieved another error code before fitment of ECU on top of 12 & 13 --> 43

Starter Signal

No "STA" signal to the ECM until engine speed reaches 800rpm with the vehicle not moving.

ISC could be stuffed