Q: About RAV4 spare tyre covers

JJCRU23R

Hey guys,

Im just wondering if it really matters that my Rav4 is a 1996 model.. Ive seen plenty of used Rav4 hard spare tyre covers for sale that suit 2000+ year model rav4s that Id gladly buy, except the description says it only suits 2000 or whatever.

Its just a spare tyre! Surely there shouldn't be something in the design of the cover that would stop them from fitting my 1996 stock rav4 spare?

Can anyone confirm/deny this for me please?

Example, this is a 2003 rav4 hard cover for sale @ gumtree.

7539603_19.jpeg

• 9 months later...

Under normal circumstances I'd be able to test the theory however the missus was rear ended in our '06 model and we can't open the rear door. Looking at the covers in place the hard cover we have for our '98 model has hard disc section that covers the front of the wheel that is held in place with elastic straps that pass behind. Additional to this is the stainless steel section that wraps around the tread section and clamps in place.

On our '06 model (i've never actually taken this one off) there is a section that is mounted behind the wheel and then a front section (visible in your pic) that covers the front and tread sections of the wheel.

So. What you need to know is if the section that mounts behind the wheel will mount to the '95-'99 model. If it will fit, then there is just the security of the tire to consider. The early model covers had a key lock on the clamp where as the later models rely on the fact you need to open the rear door to access the release for the cover. Unfortunately since I can't open the rear door on my '06 model I can't take the cover off and check at this time.

Apoligies for so many words and no conclusion,

Glen.