Lowering Experiences

mrfrost

Hi guys,

I have read the lowering threads on this forum already, but they haven't been updated in a while. I am planning to lower my Aurion, and have a quote for $400 Kings springs + installation but there are a couple of things bugging me.

Can everyone who has lowered their Aurion on Kings (or pedders) please briefly answer the following questions? (Not just for my purpose but for future members who need a detailed guide on any problems they may encounter).

1. If you lowered on original shocks, have they needed to be replaced yet? If so, at how many km?

2. How much camber did you get if you lowered without the camber pins? Ie. Really bad to the point your tyres lasted you only 6 months, or not too bad and your tyres should be fine.

3. Any additional recommendations from your personal experience with a lowered Aurion (on kings preferably).

Thanks everyone!

you will have no issues with lowering your car.

Only thing is it will reduce the life of the shocks. I havent heard of any of my friends shocks failing on them for the years they have had lowering springs. Some may say otherwise. However from what i have witnessed is that by the time your shocks fail on you, you probably would have changed your car by then anyway

Given your car is only a few years old, the original shocks should still have plenty of life in them.

I suspect that the change in camber will depend on how low you go with springs. Just keep an eye out for the change in camber, and uneven tyre wear after lowering.

If you are lowering an inch or so, then there should be few if any adverse effects, just go a bit slower over speedbumps and the like.

I had King's put on my ZR6 in June 2010 and the shocks are at about 90% wear give or take according to the last service I just had done where I had everything checked.

When I had them fitted, camber levels were increased a fair bit. Especially on the passenger side which was strange. I've gone through 2 sets of tyres since the install 12 months ago, all because the camber was too much. So i'd say getting camber sorted wouldn't be a bad idea. :)

In terms of ride comfort, it didnt' really change much from a standard ZR6 which was good, but speed bumps become an issue and forget having more than 2 in the car haha. I had a full car and boy was that fun! Couldn't even get out of the driveway on an angle lol.

I think that answers all your questions anyway. Other than the camber and the shock life, they're a good investment. The car looks really good (look at sig). :)

Although when the shocks die, I'm putting in coilovers.

Putting your AT-X "luxury" spec shock absorbers with heavy duty Kings/peddars springs you will shorten the life of the shocky because of course there not working quite the way they was designed too. Sportivo and TRD will fare slightly better as they are slightly lower (TRD more so) and also firmer and heavier duty. Before i put the coil overs in my ZR6 i had TRD Aurion Shock absorbers and US TRD Camry SE V6 lowered springs and the miss match of spring rates and damper rates and spring height to shock absorber took a slight toll on the shockies although you never heard any noises from inside the car from the suspension at all not even through wash out or large bumps/ditches but when you had it on the hoist and pushed the suspension up the guys at work said yeah it wasn’t 100% healthy but certainly had many many kms to go before needing replacing. So yeah id suggests the standard soft shockies of the ATX would suffer somewhat under king or peddar springs.