Hi St184

57nzl

Well I have decided to sign up to a few toyota forums. This is my St184, every since I was young I admired the 5th generation celicas and I am finally able to own one. I am looking for a GT4 to buy to restore to original conditions while I am waiting for my open licence, the St184 has been good for me to practice DIY on (Rolling guards, replacing engine parts etc etc) Hopefully I can meet some nice people around my area I'd like to have a look and learn from them about their Toyotas etc.

Cheers,

Dave

Couple of pictures, I know some people might not like the rims and what not. (Hoping to lower it when tax return comes back )

img2032fo.jpg

img2031z.jpg

Thanks,

img2030xl.jpg

I will need to run a 15mm spacer on the rear to have it "flush" with the front. I like the JDM style wheel fitment, hopefully one day I will be able to buy a custom set of Work Meisters or SSR Profs (I have found I can run a 9.5inch rim and a 10inch rim which would need a spacer so it won't hit the strut/coilover) Depending what happens I might have to try and find wide body front guards. The good thing is the more exspensive things I decide to buy for the St184 will be transfered to the St185 (Wheels, few other bits and pieces)

Cheers,

Dave

Mmmm works.. I like em too, good luck with spacers I head theyre unsafe in certain ways,

G2s has a group buy on hubcentric spacers, its in the forums somewhere, you might have noticed it , I would link ya if i wasn't on my phone :P

Yes, I've heard that as well. Supposedely bolt on spacers are okay though. otherwise I might just have to buy a pair of 17x8 for the fronts, 17x9 is just a little to wide. I am doing my tax return Monday (Yeah late) so I will buy some coilovers, probably BC racing as they seem to be more height adjustable then say Tein SS. i would also like to get a different front bar, Group A is what I want but I don't think it should be put on my St184 :(

Cheers,

Dave

Yes, I've heard that as well. Supposedely bolt on spacers are okay though. otherwise I might just have to buy a pair of 17x8 for the fronts, 17x9 is just a little to wide. I am doing my tax return Monday (Yeah late) so I will buy some coilovers, probably BC racing as they seem to be more height adjustable then say Tein SS. i would also like to get a different front bar, Group A is what I want but I don't think it should be put on my St184 :(

Cheers,

Dave

the group a bar is hot.... if you can get one you should definitely put it on, you can always put it on your 185 later...

I just don't want to come across as "rice" some people would say with a group A front bar, I'd love a group A bonnet as well but I will see what happens, coilovers and fix the small dent in my drivers side door is more important at the moment.

Edit: I'm not sure how it would look without a big intercooler looking out of the front bar.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by 57nzl

what way do you mean that in? because they're te37 knock offs? or? For what I wanted (decent stance) Rota and/or Koya were the top two because they offer our PCD with good offset, Id rather buy $1000 knock offs with correct offset rather then $1800+ for brand name gear with terrible offset (eg Work in our PCD seems to be 17x7 +40 17x8 +38 etc unless you geta custom made order) but I plan to get custom meisters or Professers now knowing exactly what I need for front and back, will be awesome with deep dish wheels IMO.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by 57nzl

Fair enough then. No matter where you go there is people who use spacers and are anti spacers, surely you would agree that alot of people run them? especially like what I wrote in my last post about most makers of wheels having bad offset requiring the use of spacers. The cases of failure are slim compared to the large amount running them and are normally cheap ebay options, not more exspensive well known brands (EG HKS make spacers around the 300dollar mark which would be safer then 20dollar ebay set) Either way I respect your opinion.

Cheers,

Dave

Do you really want to risk it? Your life or someone elses? Would you like to be responsible for someones death? Not to mention damage to your car. Yes I would agree a lot of people run them, but a lot of people are morons or not well informed.

darwinaward.jpg

No, to be honest I don't, like I said above I will either just buy two new wheels, with different width/offset instead of running rear spacers, but even so I still am thinking about using spacers as a quick fix. I am only learning so I try to go by my own research and spacers topic seems to split in half of for and against. In the end I will have to think about the pros and cons and input from both parties.

Cheers,

Dave

Ok, if you are learning professional advice is your best guide. Spacers are one of my pet hates due to their illegalities and the fact they make a car much less safe. Overall it is your decision but I reserve the right to say I told you so, if you decide otherwise.

Edited by trentmeyer23

Yeah no worries. I try to research as much (from credible forums from the more experienced members) as I can before I decide on what to do and your opinion has been noted.

Cheers,

Dave