What transmission fluid?

AE120

Hey guys,

My friend's 03 levin rolla transmission is rattling really loudly after third gear. Instead of overhauling the gears (its third, fourth and fifth), he's going to try to give changing the transmission fluid a change (it's been a while). He's just asked me what type of transmission fluid he would need, and if it would be safe to mix in something called 'Nulon G70' to help it out even more..

Is there any other things he could do that might quieten down the rattle? The car has done 150,000 and he's been roughly quoted $1500 to get it all fixed by his local mechanic.

Thanks!

if the gearbox is on it's last legs you could try using redline..

75w-90w should be fine, personally i use royal purple but my gearbox is in pretty good shape.

you can get it from this here, cheapest i've been able to find in melbourne.

http://www.performancelub.com/Redline%20pricelist.htm

look in the mnaual, it should say the recommended weight for the 1zz-fe gearbox. in this case the nulon additive may not be suitable for his box or might not even be needed. hows the box been driven. has the oil ever been changed before? lots of factors. and that mechanic charging him that much, he hasn't even opened to box yet to find out whats wrong.

best thing to do is get the recommended weight gearbox fluid from a shop and drop the oil. see if there are any metal bits coming out. i know for a fact that if it hasn't been changed the consistency will be close to water and would be dark as.

i changed a mates oil on his stivo a little while back and he had travelled 140xxxkms without changing the oil once. the oil that came out was less than a litre (stivo C64 boxes take 2.3L) like water and was very very dark... luckily for him though, there wasn't any metal bits flowing out.

look in the mnaual, it should say the recommended weight for the 1zz-fe gearbox. in this case the nulon additive may not be suitable for his box or might not even be needed. hows the box been driven. has the oil ever been changed before? lots of factors. and that mechanic charging him that much, he hasn't even opened to box yet to find out whats wrong.

best thing to do is get the recommended weight gearbox fluid from a shop and drop the oil. see if there are any metal bits coming out. i know for a fact that if it hasn't been changed the consistency will be close to water and would be dark as.

i changed a mates oil on his stivo a little while back and he had travelled 140xxxkms without changing the oil once. the oil that came out was less than a litre (stivo C64 boxes take 2.3L) like water and was very very dark... luckily for him though, there wasn't any metal bits flowing out.

You may not have bits of metal flow out when you drain your gearbox as there are magnets on the bottom of the sump to collect metal bits and to stop it funneling back into the gears.

The box hasn't been abused too much. Apparently the worst abuse is probably from being a manual learner's car for multiple people. The clutch got replaced a couple of years ago, which is probably when they changed the oil last.

Either way, it'll be good to check the oil and get it done. Shouldn't be too expensive in the big scheme of things.