LPG for Kluger - Good thing or not?

BigBad64

My wife is getting sick of filling our 2009 KX-R AWD Kluger at $80 a pop and is not finding it very good on fuel. It does stop/start driving a fair bit to/from her work which doesn't help.

I have a factory dual fuel Commodore and often remark to her about how great it is to only be spending about $30 to go 500 km most of the time (as well as the occasional ULP fill up).

I'm wondering about the feasibility of converting the Kluger over to LPG. I've read the couple of threads here but still have some questions and was wondering if those that have done it could tell me what they think?

Would you do it again or not?

What sort of system did you get?

About how much is it to do at the moment?

Who services your Kluger now, still Toyota? (We are still under the capped price Toyota Advantage servicing)

Does fitting aftermarket LPG affect the Toyota warranty?

If anyone could assist with some of their experiences and advice that would be appreciated.

I have LPG on the aurion which of course uses the same motor. Love it and it runs like a dream. Read the post over in the Aurion forum. I have the Orbital Direct injection system which I find much better than the vapour system I had on my last vehicle which had the 289 Windsor in it.

My wife is getting sick of filling our 2009 KX-R AWD Kluger at $80 a pop and is not finding it very good on fuel. It does stop/start driving a fair bit to/from her work which doesn't help.

I have a factory dual fuel Commodore and often remark to her about how great it is to only be spending about $30 to go 500 km most of the time (as well as the occasional ULP fill up).

I'm wondering about the feasibility of converting the Kluger over to LPG. I've read the couple of threads here but still have some questions and was wondering if those that have done it could tell me what they think?

Would you do it again or not?

What sort of system did you get?

About how much is it to do at the moment?

Who services your Kluger now, still Toyota? (We are still under the capped price Toyota Advantage servicing)

Does fitting aftermarket LPG affect the Toyota warranty?

If anyone could assist with some of their experiences and advice that would be appreciated.

Hi,

we used Sprint gas injected system as they have branches Aust wide.

Yes would do it again.

A bit expensive @ $4000.00 with only $1250.00 rebate from Govt.

Does not effect warranty as it is an alternative fuel, not modifying the engine in any way so how would it cause a warranty issue.

Still under Toyota warranty with set price servicing. LPG servicing is seperate @ your cost.

Filler goes in with petrol fill point.

I'm saving $100.00 per trip compared to before with the same distance travelled on petrol.

The only down side is the spare wheel must be removed to fit the tank, but a can of punture repair for around town is needed. How often do you get a flat tyre.

If the LPG fitting is done properly you will not notice any power loss. Change over to petrol/gas is automatic and unnoticable.

Geoff

hi , my Lpg conversion on 2010 Kluger costed $3500 minus $1250 goverment rabate. Out of pocket$2250. I have Stargas Vapour injection system installed, the same system as my commodore before. I have done on this system in my commodore over 200 000 klms without any major problems. My Kluger takes approx 14-15 Litres of gas per 100 klms Sydney/city driving. I have done approx 20 000 klms on LPG and my kluger, runs perfect. I can not feel any power loss. Donut tank installed where the spare tyre was. I do service my kluger in toyota service centres. Once every 20 000klms kluger goes to lpg mechanic for lpg filter change . Please note that some of the mechanics do not install lpg filters with new and modern lpg conversion. It is better to have one because of the injectors. Sometimes the LPG is dirty and effects the injectors. It cost $55 for the filter and the software upgrade and all the checkup. I am LPG Lover , would do it again. Kluger is my third car on LPG. I have filled up my kluger today 320Klms costed me $27. That is cheap !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies.

I look at the number plates of every Kluger I see here in the SE suburbs of Melbourne and I'm yet to see one with the red LPG badges. It's like finding a four leaf clover.

So with the LPG tank they install where the spare tyre went, how much LPG does it take?

ie. When the system says you're empty and it switches back to petrol, how many litres do you have to put in it to fill it up again?

Also, how many kilometres do you average per fill?

Hi,

I can fit 65 litres of LPG in my tank when empty. It avarages approx 11.4 litres/100 kms highway use.

So, who cares about how many Klugers are on LPG. I did mine because I do a huge amount of highway long distance travelling to save some money. I guess my outlay will give me a return fairly soon. I's up to the individual to decide what they want with LPG. Many vechile users are happy with petrol even though regular unleaded petrol is now E10, yes that's right. It's not advertised but regular unleaded is becoming E10 then you have a choice, E10 or Premium unleaded or LPG.

Geoff

Ok, I get that they fit the LPG tank where the spare tyre was.

kangur1806, your donut holds 55 litres.

Geoff, what sort of tank have you got that can hold 65?

That sounds like the one to go for, would be a PITA filling up after 360-380 km/s all the time.

Gas is for BBQ's, it's not good for any engine, its a poor lubricant, runs excess temperatures, makes less power always, will totally destroy your valves and valve seats...... do I need to go on?

Its super dangerous, WILL explode in an accident too.

I'd rather shoot myself than be in a gas bomb waiting to go off, let alone own one.

The economy of gas is a total con job.

And wait till the govt tax break goes.

The other massive f*ck up with gas is the stuff you buy. Its mixed propane and butane, BUT it varies at every single outlet! your gas system (absolutely non of them to this day) will take into account the different gas blends from outlet to outlet, so an engine that is under stress already running on BBQ fuel is now even more of an abortion waiting to wear out and cost you a fortune in repairs.

Go GAS if you are mad

If you want economy buy a Diesel.

Petrol is a real fuel, keep your car that way, and dont ever use any blend of Ethanol either :ph34r:

If you want to know how unreliable and bad gas is go ask Toyota about warranty on ANY current or past engine, you will not get ANY IF you chose to run it on gas, cause there are too many variables, too many lean outs, too much heat, and no Toyota engine is made with materials that will sustain the PUNISHMENT of gas BBQ fuel being put through it........... DONT DO IT!

Edited by RICE RACING

suggest you google Sprint gas, they are in SE suburbs Melb they are very helpful with the info.

cheers

Thanks.

They only seem to be in Coburg which is the other side of the city so I might get a local quote and see if it's worth it.