Camry Advantage 2002 engine temperature

thommo

I got our daughter a 2002 Advantage recently, only 94,000 kms on the clock. Today we were doing some parking practice in an underground carpark, and i noticed the temp gauge went a bit above half-way. We were going forward/reverse a bit for maybe 5 mins. It was not a hot day - probably only 20C here. Once we started moving forward again and onto the opem road, the gauge needle returned to a fraction below half way. We also parked with the engine running & i checked the 2 electric cooling fans. They both came on after about 30 secs, then stopped again after 30 secs.

anything to worry about? Just that i've never had any of my other cars where the temp went above half way while just beetling around?

cheers

It's due to the lack of airflow and non-constant flow from driving, from what you have explained there is nothing to worry about.If the needle goes right up and stays up, you have issues.

It's due to the lack of airflow and non-constant flow from driving, from what you have explained there is nothing to worry about.If the needle goes right up and stays up, you have issues.

Thanks Trent

A couple of other weird issues (that's what you get when you buy privately & only get to look at it in the rain in a hurry!).

1. The 2 keys we were given don't open the boot. You can only open it with the lever by the driver door. It's been in an accident in the past (a little overspray around rear door, front bumper re-sprayed). Our local panel beater said perhaps a 2nd hand boot had been used hence the keys don't work on the new boot lock. He said something about getting keys re-coded? What does that mean?

2. Should this model (20 series 2002 Camry advantage, 5S-FE engine) have remote locking? The only way to get in is using the key in the drivers door which unlocks all doors & the indicators flash. The 2 keys we were given do not have remote buttons on them.

cheers

Edited by thommo

1. You can get the tumblers in the locks reconfigured to suit the key, unsure on prices.

2. It may have come with non-remote central locking, but mostly they come with a remote seperate to the key, which have most likely been lost or broken. If this is the case you may be able to get a new remote from Toyota and have it coded to the car. If not, you can buy aftermarket kits and have them installed as well. A decent kit can be bought for around $100-$150 but the install may be quite pricey, best thing to do is ring around for quotes from Auto Electricians. I believe places like Autobarn and WOW Sight and Sound install them as well but sometimes have bad reputations.

Hi Thommo

I have a similar Camry. In my opinion, it is not normal for the temperature to go above half way at all.

Firstly I would check if you have sufficient coolant (open radiator cap). Is it full? Clean or dirty?

If the coolant is fine, it may probably be your thermostat.

For the boot lid key issue, see a locksmith. They will be able to re-configure the key barrel.

As for the remote locking, you can get a key fob from Toyota. They are inexpensive (by memory around the $50 mark). It can be easily programmed.

If you are in Sydney, I have used Michael from Sydney Security Locksmith when I had the exact same issues - boot lid key barrel and remote problems.

Hope this helps.

I'm just wondering if you were only given the valet keys to the car and not the master key. You can tell if its a valet key as you will be unable to unlock/lock the boot or lock/unlock the glovebox but will be able to unlock the doors and start the car. I know the older camry's were like this but not too sure with your model. If that's the case you could probably give Toyota your car details and they might be able to cut a master key for you. Otherwise I'd say a locksmith is your best bet

Hi Thommo

I have a similar Camry. In my opinion, it is not normal for the temperature to go above half way at all.

Firstly I would check if you have sufficient coolant (open radiator cap). Is it full? Clean or dirty?

If the coolant is fine, it may probably be your thermostat.

For the boot lid key issue, see a locksmith. They will be able to re-configure the key barrel.

As for the remote locking, you can get a key fob from Toyota. They are inexpensive (by memory around the $50 mark). It can be easily programmed.

If you are in Sydney, I have used Michael from Sydney Security Locksmith when I had the exact same issues - boot lid key barrel and remote problems.

Hope this helps.

I'd already checked the coolant & all is full (though it is a browny/reddy coloured coolant - in all my other cars its been green.) But i don't think it is dirty - I think it must be a different type. Hope it has anti-freeze properties cos it gets doen to minus 7 where i live. I was thinking thermostat too. Will get all that checked at next service which is due in 800kms. It won't be going far till then and it won't be getting down to minus 7 before then either.

I'm just wondering if you were only given the valet keys to the car and not the master key. You can tell if its a valet key as you will be unable to unlock/lock the boot or lock/unlock the glovebox but will be able to unlock the doors and start the car. I know the older camry's were like this but not too sure with your model. If that's the case you could probably give Toyota your car details and they might be able to cut a master key for you. Otherwise I'd say a locksmith is your best bet

The mystery deepens - both keys will lock/unlock the glovebox, but not the boot. One key looks like it has a remote button on it, but it is a fake button - it does not push in at all? I'll have to go to the locksmith and see what he reckons.

cheers

If it is browny/reddy, most likely you will need to do a coolant flush. It should be red/pink in colour.

Hmm... there are no mystery here, it is actually straight forward. The locksmith will definitely be able to sort out your problem with the boot lid key barrel.

2002 Camry do not have combined key and fob. Fob comes seperate. To program the key fob, cycle off/on three times then press the fob.

If it is browny/reddy, most likely you will need to do a coolant flush. It should be red/pink in colour.

Hmm... there are no mystery here, it is actually straight forward. The locksmith will definitely be able to sort out your problem with the boot lid key barrel.

2002 Camry do not have combined key and fob. Fob comes seperate. To program the key fob, cycle off/on three times then press the fob.

Yeah, it is a bit red/pink, but also a bit greyish so probably time for a flush then.

What is an fob? Is that a plastic bit without a key, but with a remote entry button on it?

When you say cycle on/off 3 times, do you mean turn the key 3 times (but not far enough to start the engine)? I don't have an fob (I don't think) so i guess the locksmith can provide one of those & program it? Or perhaps I'll have to pay a fortune at a Toyota dealership to get that done?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Got it serviced including a cooling system flush ($200). My mechanic did not seem to think there were any major problems.

It turns out the boot has likely been replaced, so for $20 got the lock re-done so it matched my keys.

And yes, the fob is missing (this model does have remote locking), Toyota quoted $77 for a new fob (including programming) - our daughter can pay for that if she wants one cos i've spent enough !!!