looking to buy a prado. which one?

hotwheels

Hi all im looking at purchasing a second hand 120series prado. I have been told to look for a 06model and on with a 5 speed auto. I have been told they are a little better on fuel economy. Is this true?

I also wish to know what sort of problems can i expect.

I have a budget of $32000. I forgot to mention im looking for a petrol 06 on with a auto OR a 2003 and on in a diesel manual BUT not the D4D.

I would appreciate any advice on the issue

Cheers Grant

Hi Mate and welcome. You should post this in the Prado section of the 4x4 forum you will have more chance of the right people seeing it and giving you the right advise. Good luck with your purchase :toast:

I have a good friend of mine that is a mechanic with mitsubishi and has been for over 20 years. He has had 2 prados a 2003 diesel and his current vehicle a 2009.

The 03 model was superb he recently bought the 2009 model and spoke to the mechanics in the toyota dealership and was surprised to see a whole wall of fuel pumps, injectors, etc all damaged through water getting in through bad tanks of diesel. The water traps are designed to prevent this but for some reason they are not and none of this damage is under warranty.

Just a scary thought, im not saying it wont happen to any diesel it seems that its quite common with the d4d prados and hilux

• 1 month later...

YES MATE THE FIVE SPEED AUTOS ARE MORE ECONOMICAL THAN FOUR SPEED AUTOS . AS FOR 2003 DIESEL COMPARED TO 2006 PETROL I WOULD GO PETROL THE 2003 WOULD NOT BE THAT MUCH BETTER ON FUEL THAN THE PETROL AND FOR DRIVING PLEASURE THE PETROL WOULD WIN HANDS DOWN. THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE THAT HAD THAT MODEL PRADO.THAT MODEL PRADO IS A FANTASTIC CAR. THE 4 LITRE V6 ISNT TOO BAD ON FUEL SURE IT MIGHT NOT BE AS GOOD ON FUEL AS THE D4D BUT YOU CAN BUY A LOT OF FUEL FOR THE EXTRA MONEY BUYING THE D4D AND YOU HAVE NOT GOT TO WORRY ABOUT INJECTORS OR FUEL PUM PS G OING BUNG AND THE EXPENSE WHEN THE DIESEL NEEDS SOMETHING FIXING.PEFORMANCE WISE THE PETROL IS OUT IN FRONT