ZRE Spark Plugs

Hi All,

I have a ZRE Corolla.

Passed 100,000km about 33,000km's ago

Thinking it's time to change the spark plugs as the manual recommends every 100,000km's.

Tried to get them out to have a look, but stuffed if I can actually pull them out....

Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks guys.

You will need to remove the spark plugs by using a ratchet and a socket. They will not just pull out.

Spark plugs are usually one of the two sizes - 13/16” or 5/8”

You will need to remove the spark plugs by using a ratchet and a socket. They will not just pull out.

Spark plugs are usually one of the two sizes - 13/16” or 5/8”

yes i understand that you can't just "pull them out" maybe i wasn't clear enough...

once unscrewed, the firewall is in the way of fully pulling the plugs out once unscrewed.

i will post photos shortly to try and explain what i mean and hopefully you can tell me what im doing wrong.

once unscrewed, the firewall is in the way of fully pulling the plugs out once unscrewed.

i will post photos shortly to try and explain what i mean and hopefully you can tell me what im doing wrong.

Have you tried removing the trim that is preventing the plugs from coming out? If something is blocking it, the first logical step would be to see if you can remove the said blockage. I'm guessing it would be trim in the way because I find it hard to imagine the firewall being in the way.

That said, I think I need to see a photo of what you are trying to do because correct me is I'm wrong, but aren't the spark plugs on the top of the engine underneath the engine cover? In that case, they aren't anywhere near the firewall.

Have you tried removing the trim that is preventing the plugs from coming out? If something is blocking it, the first logical step would be to see if you can remove the said blockage. I'm guessing it would be trim in the way because I find it hard to imagine the firewall being in the way.

That said, I think I need to see a photo of what you are trying to do because correct me is I'm wrong, but aren't the spark plugs on the top of the engine underneath the engine cover? In that case, they aren't anywhere near the firewall.

well - it is the firewall. the spark plugs are at the very rear and they are sheltered, there is no plastic trim covering.

but you're all going to this i'm an idiot. i was using the wrong sized tube socket..... once i used the correct sizing i was able to pull them out with less than 3mm gap to pull it from behind the interestingly shaped firewall......

poor excuse of a design toyota!!!!!

Try removing the spark plugs from the rear bank of a 5th generation Camry v6. Extraordinarily difficult without removing the air chamber cause it overhangs over the spark tubes which is amplified by the large angle at which the engine sits.

Then you can complain!

Try removing the spark plugs from the rear bank of a 5th generation Camry v6. Extraordinarily difficult without removing the air chamber cause it overhangs over the spark tubes which is amplified by the large angle at which the engine sits.

Then you can complain!

hey! i'll be right thanks!