Taking Car Off the Road While I Travel

Hi,

I have a 2011 Corolla Hatch manual that has only done just over 6,000 kms. I have decided to travel overseas for probably 2 years. I will leave the car in a garage of a property I own and a friend rents out. She will let me keep my car there and will start it up once a month for me too. She did this last time I travelled for a few months last year.

But this time it will be for a long period. I would like to sell it but I probably won't get the price I want and time is running out now so I'm trying to decide what to do. I think taking it off the road will be the best idea otherwise I have to pay for registration (which is due soon) (about $700 per year), insurance (about $400 per year) and servicing (about $260 per year). I talked to my local Toyota dealer and they said that I can still use the remainder of my 6 year warranty when I come back and it won't be a problem but they said there might be some things I need to pay for if it was caused when storing etc.

From my understanding I would not have to do anything like contacting the RTA but I would just let the car reg run out. Then in 2 years or whatever when I come back I would just pay for a new reg.

What I'm mainly worried about is if there will be any issues mechanically, like the wheel parts ceasing up as I notice the brakes get rusty if I don't drive the car for several days or things like the battery etc running out?

Any tips and advice would be appreciated thanks.