Amps : 5 channel or 4 and a mono

jps137

I am looking to get an amp or two and am trying to decide whether to go for a 5 channel amp or a 4 channel amp and a mono amp for the sub

With a 5Ch there is only going to be a limited small amount of power on that 5th channel which means you are only looking at a basic/entry level sub. Getting a 4ch you can bridge it to run 2ch which will give you more power for fronts and a dedicated mono for sub. :D

What brands are you looking at buying and where are getting your gear from?

Where would you like to install the amps?

A nice 5 channel like the alpine PDX could fit nicely under the front seat. A 4 channel and mono might be able to squeeze under the seats, or you can make a nice looking amp rack.

Who will be doing the installation?

A 5 channel may be easier to install if you are doing a DIY. A 4 channel and mono will require extra cables/distribution block etc

Im currently upgrading the audio in my ZRE and just slowly collecting parts. I rarely have rear passengers so i decided on a splits/sub/amp install and will dynamat the front doors. If you dont care about the rear passengers so much, i would suggest you spend more money on better front speakers.

The Arc Mini amps can definitely fit under the seats. I too would go for a separate monoblock. Also why 4 channels? Are you going to be powering the rears as well? Asking because you don't need to waste money on the rears as they aren't supposed to be heard from the front anyways.

I guess I need to elaborate a bit more (and I also realised I hadn't mentioned which vehicle it was going into).

The system is for my Corolla I currently have Alpine Type R splits in the front and Type R coax in the rear doors. I am going through the process of deciding on a sub at the moment though it is looking like a Type S 12 inch. I was looking to keep it all Alpine and so would be looking at Alpine amps(s). I was wanting to put the amps under the seats, as the sub would take up a bit of boot space and I still need some space to carry luggage occasionally. I am looking for quality sound (at a reasonable volume) not something that will scare the people 3 streets away.

I have the Alpine type S 1243D and my mate made an enclosure for it yesterday. If you want your sub to have quality sound, it is important to put it in the right sized enclosure.

With your speakers, I would add a quality four channel and monoblock. The type r's are power hungry so a 5 channel might not be enough.

I guess I need to elaborate a bit more (and I also realised I hadn't mentioned which vehicle it was going into).

The system is for my Corolla I currently have Alpine Type R splits in the front and Type R coax in the rear doors. I am going through the process of deciding on a sub at the moment though it is looking like a Type S 12 inch. I was looking to keep it all Alpine and so would be looking at Alpine amps(s). I was wanting to put the amps under the seats, as the sub would take up a bit of boot space and I still need some space to carry luggage occasionally. I am looking for quality sound (at a reasonable volume) not something that will scare the people 3 streets away.

I would also be looking at the arc mini's get a 4ch bridge it for fronts then use a arc mini mono to power your sub. If your worried about room in boot from sub perhaps look at a fibreglassed box.

396983621.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

As a few of you had asked I would probably be getting the parts and the work done at Xtreme Car Audio (Blacktown)