Considering Buying Landcruiser VX 200 Diesel

warmtone

Hi I've just joined this Forum tonight in the hope I might learn more about the 200 Series Turbo Diesel land cruiser.

I have just spent the last 3 days driving various new Toyotal Diesel 200 land cruisers - both GXL and VX 200 series.

Ths new generation vehicle appears to be a huge upgrade on my trusty old 80 series turbo diesel which has done 318K and has now reached 22 years.

Although I must point out I was not impressed with KDSS suspension over the standard GLX set up. I found the KDSS/VX model to be over damped on made roads displaying unexpected nervous twitches over relatively minor road bumps. The GLX was far more predictable soaking up bumps with ease.

Despite favourable driving impressions, I am rapidly losing enthusiasm for the new 200 series engine given the large number of reliability issues which seem to plague this vehicle including: high oil consumption, injector noise, clunking drive shafts. To make matters worse numerous unhappy owners report a consistently poor response from Toyota which raises further questions about the true value of the warranty.

Given the 200 series has now been in production for several years it is unacceptable that the high oils consumption problem has not been completely solved by now. This reminds me of the big end debacle with some 80 series diesels that had faulty shell bearings in the 90's to which toyotal never officially acknowledged the problem - but under pressure changed big end bearings for customers who complained the loudest.

I know the web tends to capture negative experience and can sometimes lack balance, so before making a final decision I would like to hear from happy 200 series diesel owners if any exist?

My dilemma is my current vehicle while dated is totally reliable does not have any issues other than those expected from a vehicle of this age. In particular it doesn't burn oil or represent a financial liability. A huge plus is that I can fix virtually everything that needs to be replaced - economically.(!)

I am not prepared to pay 80K plus (a staggering amount) for a car with systemic issues.

Even if I do find most people are happy I will be asking Toyota some very tough questions before I purchase the car

• 5 months later...

I am in the same boat as you, considering heavily the upgrade to a 200 series turbo diesel and have heard various issues that are concerning me. It would be good to get some more feedback as by the time I am finished fitting the car out, it will be $120K and thats scary if what you are saying is true. Any feedback definitely taken on board.

cheers

Brenton

I had the very same misgivings before finally making the plunge. But before I did I asked Toyota for an assurance the oil burning issue was resolved. I received that assurance in an email which was good enough for me particularly as I'd use that against them if I experienced oil burning issues. I'm happy to say that after 26,000km, at least half towing a 2 ton caravan, I have no concerns.

After buying my GXL, Toyota switched oils to a fully synthetic 5W30, no doubt in it's ongoing quest to find the best fix.

I replaced a 14 yo petrol/ LPG GQ Patrol owned from new. Best car I ever owned and would have bought another Nissan if they had a decent diesel engine. They don't so I bought the Toyota. Disappointed with crappy quality issues - easily scratched plastics, thin carper, plastic trim clips that are prone to breaking BUT it's a fantastic towing vehicle. Incredibly safe, huge torque, limo smooth. I only hope it serves me as well as the Patrol did.

Should also have mentioned that I was also told not to nurse the car early in its life as this is likely to glaze up the cylinders and lead to high oil consumption. I was encouraged to push it hard and have since heard the same from diesel mechanics. But make sure always to allow the turbo to cool down before turning off the ignition, particularly after hard work - as stated in the manual (I'm sure many owners don't read the manual - its huge). I considered fitting a Bogaard Turbo Timer but now am in the habit of idling a minute or 3 after stopping, depending on how I've driven.