Sticky Accelerator Pedal 2000 Camry

cosmichobo

G'day,

Just the past week or two I've noticed that when I go to depress the accelerator, there will be some resistance... then suddenly it will give way and resume normal function... (Could best describe it as cracking the ice on a puddle)

I was wondering - with that icy analogy - if it was to do with moving to a colder climate... (Brisbane to Geelong; ie sub tropics to regularly reaching 2C...) But then I started researching and even found a how to guide to fix the problem:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5731558_fix-sticky-accelerator-toyota-camry.html

Would that be the issue? I was wondering if it may just be some of the linkage rods... (Umm... I'm assuming there is linkage rods... only other experience was a Nissan 280zx which had rods with plastic "elbow" joints that sometimes got a bit funny...)

Is the above "how to" a good guide to fix this issue?

Can I use WD40 instead of carby cleaner?

cheers

cosmic

G'day, no you dont have linkages, 4cyl & v6 are cable accelorator. It maybe a frayed cable that is causing restance, its a simple process to inspect. look under accel pedal first and check cable to pedal condition then look at throttle body cable connection. if not sure then have a secont person press accelerator and you will see the mechanical action happenning with the cable. If all looks ok, then you should check throtle body for butterfly carbon build up. may just need some throttle body spray cleaner in the air intake. last check is the throtle position sension sensor may have carbon build up but pretty sure first 2 will be the issue.