Service, but not by the book

Apologies to the moderators and others if there is another similar forum (and so feel free to merge).

I wanted to share a recent experience, and make others aware.

I recently took delivery of a 2009 Kluger Grande; bought from one of the biggest Ford dealerships in Brisbane. According to the paperwork (service manual) it had just had it's 50,000km service at 47,055km (I picked up the car at 47,060km). Not a big service, but like all service books, it explains what to do. Included in that is "inspect and clean airconditioner filter" My wife mentioned to me that she could smell stale cigarette smoke whenever the airconditioner was on. After reading the owners manual, I found and removed the aircon. filter to see if that was the problem. Boy was I p*ssed off when I saw that the filter was filthy, with small bits of grass in it. There was NO way that this filter was about 100km old. As an interim measure, I gave it a good clean (orange cleaner, rinse then dried it with a hair dryer before replacing it. Sprayed a little bit of car cologne in it too, even though it now smelt neutral). This will do until the next service (which will be done by Toyota as it's still under new car warranty; car was built 12/2009, sold new 5/2010)

I wonder how many dealers (Toyota or otherwise) or places like Auto Leaders etc etc don't carry out services by the book? Makes me also wonder what else was missed.

Anybody else had similar issues? I was tempted to take the car back and complain, but it was more economical just to clean it and replace it rather than waste time and petrol.

When I do take it to get serviced from now on, I will make mention that I want the car serviced AS PER the book.

There was NO way that this filter was about 100km old.

Im a bit confused, unsure if you mean that it wasn't cleaned last service or if you meant that it wasn't replaced last service

Anyway a/c filter replacements are not part of the service, they cost like 100 something dollars i think unless the service book specifically says replace a/c filter

Cleaning is a part of the service but you'll find that and spare tyre pressure are some of the things dodgy techs seem to skip coz its too much effort