Led lights

Mallabullaergo

Hi, I have a 2007 Toyota Aurion Presara sedan and I have recently bought two led strips to place just above the fog lights, is it safe to wire these led lights into the existing fog lamp connection and run both? I'm worried about a fire? But I have tried this and they seem to run fine, and the plastic on the is well away from the lamp,

Is there any precautions I should take like fire proof tape?

Here is what they look like :)

post-31103-0-21260400-1355877675_thumb.j

post-31103-0-91590600-1355877709_thumb.j

post-31103-0-07253700-1355877766_thumb.j

Edited by Mallabullaergo

No need to worry about fire or anything like that. But there are already LEDs that can be stuck onto the Crome pieces On top of the foggies

http://www.bodykitskingdom.co.uk/magento/toyota/led-daytime-running-light-aurion-06-09.html

These look more legit than those blue ones

Edited by REBZTRD
  • Like 1

Dont mean to burst your bubble but the minute you are seen by a cop you get a defect straight away. Being that they appear to be a blue/UV sort of colour. As rebz said you can get the DRLs in the foglight piece already made up

Hi Mallabullaergo,

LEDs are very low amperage so don't draw much power, are the strips waterproof?, that would be the only issue that may short the wiring if moisture can get in. I have strips from Supercheap that are waterproof just stuck to the front on my headlights but the are wired to the ignition with a relay and turn off automatically with the park lights and I also have a switch for them, it is a legal requirement that they switch off when the park is switched on but not sure how much it's enforced, they may not bother unless they get you for something else plus the police are now booking people for having there fog lights on, something to do with using them not for the purpose for which they are ment (fog or rain). If you are running them off the fog lights I would use a relay with a fuse so they get power off the battery, I have been told that when SMD LEDs blow they can create a short that feeds back down the wiring and can melt it (worst case senario), not sure if those ones you have are SMD LEDs, this was said in regards to replacing interior and other lights with LED bulbs. I asked the police about lighting and was told blue is a police/emergency colour as VIPZR6 has said you would get a defect.

Cheers

Hi Mallabullaergo,

LEDs are very low amperage so don't draw much power, are the strips waterproof?, that would be the only issue that may short the wiring if moisture can get in. I have strips from Supercheap that are waterproof just stuck to the front on my headlights but the are wired to the ignition with a relay and turn off automatically with the park lights and I also have a switch for them, it is a legal requirement that they switch off when the park is switched on but not sure how much it's enforced, they may not bother unless they get you for something else plus the police are now booking people for having there fog lights on, something to do with using them not for the purpose for which they are ment (fog or rain). If you are running them off the fog lights I would use a relay with a fuse so they get power off the battery, I have been told that when SMD LEDs blow they can create a short that feeds back down the wiring and can melt it (worst case senario), not sure if those ones you have are SMD LEDs, this was said in regards to replacing interior and other lights with LED bulbs. I asked the police about lighting and was told blue is a police/emergency colour as VIPZR6 has said you would get a defect.

Cheers

Thankyou for that, very helpful!! :) I'm not to concerned about it being illegal cause as you said having fog lights on is illegal anyway, so I'll just turn them on when I want I think :)

Could you please assist me in how to install a relay fuse, the wires on these lights are very short too?

Standard relay wiring. The blue output would be to the positive on the LED strips (you can run extra wiring from wherever you put the relay to the strips), the negative you could just ground to the chassis, the green ACC you can connect to the positive of the fog lamp or power from a switch if you want to turn them off individually, the red is just to the positvie of the battery, black just goes to earth/chassis. The pin numbers and what they go to are more important than the colour of the wire in the diagram, I just used the typical colours. My Philips DRLs have a 3 amp fuse so that would an ok size, no bigger as they don't draw much power but if they do short you want the fuse to blow at low amps, . Get the relay & fuse holder from any auto parts store or electrical store like Jaycar, holder is up to you, blade fuses and holders are neater. If you need more info let me know.

12VRELAYWIRING_zps4fba4e32.jpg

Edited by SATORI893

Thankyou very much for the diagram, very helpful :)

Just wondering, what could I use to stick these led strips to the chrome part above the fog light? Adhesive tape? Perhaps just glue, I don't want them dangling around and not notice haha :)

3M double sided tape is the best for them, you can trim the width down to suit the strip, if they ever blow or you take them off later you can remove it easily without damaging the chrome, glue could affect it, give the LEDs and the area you are sticking them to a wipe with an alcohol swab, the medical ones from the chemist are the same that you get with a lot of self adheasive stuff, it will hold well if parts are clean before you stick them on. Let us know how they look, pics if you can. These are the ones I go from Supercheap, they came with adheasive tape on them, the other pic is the Philips DRLs I mounted under the bumper. I have an over-ride switch to stop mine from turning off when the park lights if I want them to stay on, normally though they turn off with park.

HEADLIGHTDRLS_zps1835f294.jpgAURIONBODYKITFRONTFOGANDDRLS_zpsd3fea3f6.jpg

Edited by SATORI893

3M double sided tape is the best for them, you can trim the width down to suit the strip, if they ever blow or you take them off later you can remove it easily without damaging the chrome, glue could affect it, give the LEDs and the area you are sticking them to a wipe with an alcohol swab, the medical ones from the chemist are the same that you get with a lot of self adheasive stuff, it will hold well if parts are clean before you stick them on. Let us know how they look, pics if you can. These are the ones I go from Supercheap, they came with adheasive tape on them, the other pic is the Philips DRLs I mounted under the bumper. I have an over-ride switch to stop mine from turning off when the park lights if I want them to stay on, normally though they turn off with park.

HEADLIGHTDRLS_zps1835f294.jpgAURIONBODYKITFRONTFOGANDDRLS_zpsd3fea3f6.jpg

Thankyou, I've just ordered that tape :) those led's look awesome! We did you get them? The ones on the headlight

Not sure if you meant when or were did I get them, the ones on the headlights are from Supercheap Auto, their SCA brand. About $40 I think, 600mm long and you can cut them to size or in half like I did, they have the plug at each end on them, you just have to solder the wires onto the other end after you cut them to make two. Got them about 2 months ago. :D