B Pillar creak *Help / advice required*

adizz131

Hi All,

I have found (another) issue with my Aurion, and it seems like one thing after another... but moving on...

In Adelaide we have had some hot weather over the last week or so, and over the last few days when I get into my car and it's really hot inside from the sun, I drive off, and I hear this creaking noise from the drivers side B pillar.

I hear it when I take off and when I brake, so when the car chassis has weight moving it.

I am 99% sure it's the B pillar, as I put my ear next to it while braking, and I can hear it.

I have no idea what it is, and I can't reproduce the noise by hand. Seems like it needs the force of the car to make it happen.

The creak kinda sounds like the creak you get from your centre console, but I am pretty sure it's metal creaking, not plastic, however I could be wrong, and it may be plastic rubbing.

Can anyone shed some light on what this could be?

My car is still under the 3 months dealer used car warranty, so I may be able to get it fixed through the dealer (CMI Toyota), as I am not really keen on pulling the B pillar apart myself (On that note, can someone also tell me if the side airbag is in the seat or the B pillar?).

Do the current model Aurions have the rattle and creak issues that the 07-09 models have?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

Edited by adizz131

The side impact airbag is located in the seat and the curtain airbag is located above the B pillar and extends from the bottom of the A pillar to the base of the C pillar in an arc along the roofline, if you were to have a look yourself you won't damage anything and the belt roller is on the floor

• 3 months later...

I've also just noticed this issue too in my 2010 Presara (Delivered Oct 2010). Seems to creak when I accelerate, and is most obvious from standstill (eg at a set of traffic lights) and when I brake, whether it be slowing down for a turn, or coming to a halt.

I've only noticed it only on warm days though. When it's cool, or at night, I don't recall noticing any creaking.

Will get the service tech @ Toyota to take a look at it and fix it at the next service which is still a fair way off unfortunately.

In any event, it should be covered under warranty, together with the odd soft clunking I'm hearing from the front end (steering rack?) when I go over brick paving, or over cracks on the road.

I guess it's to be expected, considering its age. Soon it will be time to retire and replace the Aurion. It's been a very comfortable and reliable car to date!