pre-purchase inspection guidelines for AE112R

GTS-R

Hi Guys,

I am looking at a 2000 TOYOTA COROLLA AE112R ULTIMA for my son as a first car.

I would love some basic info on this model.

What should we be looking out for when we inspect the car?

Any common faults with the body or engine.

Does it run a timing belt?

If I get one under 120,000km would this be a good first car and generally reliable.

How would you rate this car compared to a 1.8 L 2002 Nissan Pulsar or a 2.0 L 2004 Mitsubishi lancer.

Any info appreciated.

Regards

JC

Edited by GTS-R

Yes it runs a timing belt and it's to be serviced at 100,000kms as per all #AGE engines.

You will need to take each car on a case by case basis. With it being a corolla, it's generally reliable and you shouldn't have any mechanical issues.

However, as a car, it is utterly one of the most bland and under powered white good on wheels I have ever driven, I suppose for the purposes on P platers, it is perfect.

When I first bought my ae112, the only problem I had was the clutch as it was on its way out. But thats normal for a car that had 195 0000km on it, but that was easily replaced.

The timing belt should be changed around 150 000 km for the 7afe, but I would recommend changing it at least 10 000 - 20 000 km before just to be safe.

To be honest I haven't came across any major problems yet with the ae112. Just service it regularly, maintain the body and electrics and should last you a very long time.

I think the Ultima model is between the top model Levin and middle model Conquest (I think). The interior is a bit different, also has fog lights which is a plus, but other than those small little things there pretty much the same.

It's very comfy to drive, handles very well and also very spacious. But make sure when you look at the car, just check the usual things you do when looking at a car. I.E, if the car has any oil leaks, check the tyres, brakes etc.

Also check the service history and see if its up to date. If the owner serviced it well and on time, the car should run like a dream.

Go for a test drive and have a feel of it, but I found this car better compared to others I drove.

Yes it runs a timing belt and it's to be serviced at 100,000kms as per all #AGE engines.

You will need to take each car on a case by case basis. With it being a corolla, it's generally reliable and you shouldn't have any mechanical issues.

However, as a car, it is utterly one of the most bland and under powered white good on wheels I have ever driven, I suppose for the purposes on P platers, it is perfect.

The timing belt is different on the 7afe to the 4ages. In the book it says 150 000 it should be changed. But obviously to be safe you would change that before it hits 150.

Hi Guys,

I am looking at a 2000 TOYOTA COROLLA AE112R ULTIMA for my son as a first car.

I would love some basic info on this model.

What should we be looking out for when we inspect the car?

Any common faults with the body or engine.

Does it run a timing belt?

If I get one under 120,000km would this be a good first car and generally reliable.

How would you rate this car compared to a 1.8 L 2002 Nissan Pulsar or a 2.0 L 2004 Mitsubishi lancer.

Any info appreciated.

Regards

JC

I owned a Toyota Corolla 1994 model and it went ratrher well until the last couple of years when

the costs were $2300 then $900 and decided after that I would buyt a new one.

Any way the Corollas of that era are pretty reliable.

Could always ask RAC to come and inspect it for you before you buy.

Most people when selling tend to get a RAC inspection to add value to the sale.

The timing belt should be changed around 150 000 km for the 7afe, but I would recommend changing it at least 10 000 - 20 000 km before just to be safe.

I think the Ultima model is between the top model Levin and middle model Conquest (I think).

Ultima is the top spec for the sedan, Levin is top spec for hatch. And I'm a little worried about the 150,000km interval for the timing belt (I know that is what Toyota recommends) as the earlier AE102s (with the same engine) recommend 100,000km...

Fair enough, looks like Toyota tended to chop and change their Ultimas....AE9x had an Ultima hatch (Seca), AE102 didn't, AE112 and ZZE122 did, ZRE152 didn't

Thanks guys for the info.

Yes I think ULTIMA OR LEVIN is what i am after.

They have all the bells and whistles. twin air bag,full electrics,sports seats,fog lights ,abs etc,etc.

I am looking for very low km's under 120,000 if possible.

Yes I will also have a mechanical inspection even though I can eliminate 80% of the car when I look at it.

Funny thing is that I found the lancer and pulsar around 2002-2004 to be more expensive and actually very bland.

Some didnt even have twin airbag or abs or electrics or full disc brakes.

Toyota wins even though the car is a few years older.

Regards

JC

Yeah I would prefer a Levin. I like the look of them inside and out. But its all up to you. You should find them easy to come across on carsales or whatever.

Good luck mate.

Fair enough, looks like Toyota tended to chop and change their Ultimas....AE9x had an Ultima hatch (Seca), AE102 didn't, AE112 and ZZE122 did, ZRE152 didn't

It's kinda weird that the timing belt needs to be changed every 150 000km. But I'm not complaining. Haha

Yeah your right Ultimas are on and off but the Levins dominate :P lol

• 3 weeks later...