Upgrading KXR 17inch wheels to 19inch Grande Wheels

Rumz

I know this has been talked about before but I couldn't find specific answers.

Is it legal under NSW laws to put the standard 19inch Grande wheels on a KXR??

The model is for MY2012 FWD KXR.

I read in a previous post that it is illegal in VIC due to the weight specs but this was for a 2008 model kluger.

I'd just go to a place that does e-safety inspections in NSW, to ask their opinion (my local toyota dealer does mine) They have all the relevant manuals and should be able to tell you if it would fail an inspection, Considering you are looking at just upgrading to the factory Grande wheels, I would have thought these would be OK, but it is a lot of money to spend if they are illegal, although it would take a good inspector to realise they weren't the originals...cars aren't inspected until they are 5 years old, so if they were illegal it would be picked up then, or during a random check.

Ok so this is where I'm at with my research.

The upgrade from 17inch to 19inch is not the problem as the rolling diametre is identical. The problem lies in the load rating, KXR wheel placard states no less than 107, while the Alttitude, KXS and Grande states load raing to be no less than 103.

Toyota: Called Toyota and their only response is 'we dont recommend modifications to the vehicle and you should keep it to factory spec'. This is what pisses me off, they are happy to charge $2,500 as a factory upgrade at the time of purchase and also change the factory wheel placard to 19inch wheels, but to source the wheels yourself for for less than half that price they aren't willing to give you their approval, nice.

Insurer: You are allowed to upgrade wheels as long as it complies with the law. This is my major concern as the load rating on the KXR placard is 107 and the Alttitude, KXS & Grande have load ratings of 103.

Local Car Engineer: Any factory option is legal. Doesn't matter what is stated on placard its only a sticker.

RTA: Spoke to a technical officer at the NSW Roads & Maritime and he could not understand why there is a difference between the KXR and other models. He also acknowledges they are identical vehicles. He done some research on the compliance of the vehicle and tells me the KXR is complied with tyre rating of no less than 107. But he did say one last comment which made me think, he said check the specs in the hand book and what ever the factory recommends should be legal.

So I opened the hand book and in the wheel specifications it mentions both wheel sizes. 245/65/17 107S & 245/55/19 103S, but no where does it say for which particular model the size applies too?

So would you take the handbook specs to mean you can use either of the two sizes dosent matter which model it is for?

Pretty confusing stuff and also very critical in ensuring you are covered for insurance purposes.

Any thoughts??

Edited by Rumz

Don't worry bro Rumz. I found some supporting documents from the Internet. wifey using PC. I'm on iPad. I'll post here when got the chance.

Edited by tpl

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so this is where I'm at with my research.

The upgrade from 17inch to 19inch is not the problem as the rolling diametre is identical. The problem lies in the load rating, KXR wheel placard states no less than 107, while the Alttitude, KXS and Grande states load raing to be no less than 103.

Toyota: Called Toyota and their only response is 'we dont recommend modifications to the vehicle and you should keep it to factory spec'. This is what pisses me off, they are happy to charge $2,500 as a factory upgrade at the time of purchase and also change the factory wheel placard to 19inch wheels, but to source the wheels yourself for for less than half that price they aren't willing to give you their approval, nice.

Insurer: You are allowed to upgrade wheels as long as it complies with the law. This is my major concern as the load rating on the KXR placard is 107 and the Alttitude, KXS & Grande have load ratings of 103.

Local Car Engineer: Any factory option is legal. Doesn't matter what is stated on placard its only a sticker.

RTA: Spoke to a technical officer at the NSW Roads & Maritime and he could not understand why there is a difference between the KXR and other models. He also acknowledges they are identical vehicles. He done some research on the compliance of the vehicle and tells me the KXR is complied with tyre rating of no less than 107. But he did say one last comment which made me think, he said check the specs in the hand book and what ever the factory recommends should be legal.

So I opened the hand book and in the wheel specifications it mentions both wheel sizes. 245/65/17 107S & 245/55/19 103S, but no where does it say for which particular model the size applies too?

So would you take the handbook specs to mean you can use either of the two sizes dosent matter which model it is for?

Pretty confusing stuff and also very critical in ensuring you are covered for insurance purposes.

Any thoughts??

As you say Toyota change the placard on the models to suit the wheels they fit at time of sale. The Altitude model is based on the The KXR and has the Grande wheels and therefore carries the 103s rating but the standard KXR has the 107.

It would be good for the placard to have 107 for 17inch and 103 for 19 inch printed so customers could upgrade wheels if desired.

Can you get higher load rated tyres for the 19 inch rims?

You need to be careful of insurance as any accident that MAY be a result of tyres will mean the insurers will wipe you.

Also the placard can be replaced by the dealer if you buy a genuine Toyota rim set- they can update details through the system to match the vin. I recommend calling toyota to explain the situation and the fact they are GENUINE wheels. The dealer is being dodgy, they are prob ****** they didn't get the full price at time of sale.

Thanks to another member on this forum (tpl) who directed me to some valuable information which pretty much sums up the upgrade from 17" to 19" 103S is a legal modification.

The link below is a guide on modifications with the department of infrustructure and transport (Federal Department not State):

Go to page 19 --> under 4.1--> point 1.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/pdf/NCOP11_Section_LS_Tyres_Suspension_Steering_V2_1Jan_2011%20v3.pdf

It clearly states,

A motor vehicle under 4.5 tonnes GVM which is required to comply with ADR 24 may be

equipped with tyres other than those listed on the tyre placard provided that:

- the load rating of the tyres is not less than the lowest load rating listed on the tyre

placard of the vehicle or equivalent variant of that model vehicle

Again this is a federal department so this is applicable to ALL states.

So out of my research the engineer was correct in saying any factory upgrade or option is legal.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

does anyone want to buy a set of kluger rims 19 inch grande rims and tyres i have some tread remaining i am selling because i would like to get some aftermarket rims price is $800 for a set of four perth only please as shipping will cost a fortune

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

defintely legal bro. 245-255width overall diameter is less than 15mm and you get higher load rating. So it's 100% legal. If more than 15mm then it's illegal.

• Like 1