OBX headers, cheap for a reason?

Dixon

SO, casually browsing the interwebs, reddit becomes boring so naturally i search for corolla parts. I find these and after doing some scanning through the forums here, seems there is no definitive answer for this. Are there any gains to be had through this 4-1 setup?

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/h10754s.html

Im well aware of the proper PPE (etc) headers on offer for the 2ZZ, im just curious if anyone knows any reason why the headers are the price they are. Seems the question was never really answered on the forums here.

And for the record i had a custom set fabricated locally here in Hervey Bay (south east qld), this post isnt me window shopping :D

Dixon

Can’t comment on the gains out of these particular headers, but can comment on the quality of OBX headers in general, and I have found the ones I have on my Camry to be quite good.

Admittedly there is probably better stuff out there, but for the price they have good gains and high build quality (Although mine sound a little tinny at high revs). Some people have said they felt OBX headers aren't much good, probably because of the price, but I think this is unfounded.

Good to see another member in Hervey Bay, I have seen your car around a bit, and it looks very nice. :)

Can’t comment on the gains out of these particular headers, but can comment on the quality of OBX headers in general, and I have found the ones I have on my Camry to be quite good.

Admittedly there is probably better stuff out there, but for the price they have good gains and high build quality (Although mine sound a little tinny at high revs). Some people have said they felt OBX headers aren't much good, probably because of the price, but I think this is unfounded.

Good to see another member in Hervey Bay, I have seen your car around a bit, and it looks very nice. :)

For reference, the headers for the 1mz-fe don't fit without modification so that's a vote of confidence right there.

Nor do the ones for the 2AZ-FE (Aus Camry at least) now that you mention it Andrew, so in that respect they are not the best. But in my case, the OBX were the only ones available off the shelf, and a lot cheaper that custom, so I thought they were worth a try, and they are still going good, so I am reasonably happy with them.

Nor do the ones for the 2AZ-FE (Aus Camry at least) now that you mention it Andrew, so in that respect they are not the best. But in my case, the OBX were the only ones available off the shelf, and a lot cheaper that custom, so I thought they were worth a try, and they are still going good, so I am reasonably happy with them.

Really? How bad is it?

Not too bad Andrew, only that the OBX header and mid pipe are a bit short to connect up to the existing exhaust,(Wasn't too bad for me as I got the whole system upgraded anyway). that may not be the case with the USDM Camry. Also the bracket on the base of the header requires a little tweaking to fit.

Not too bad Andrew, only that the OBX header and mid pipe are a bit short to connect up to the existing exhaust,(Wasn't too bad for me as I got the whole system upgraded anyway). that may not be the case with the USDM Camry. Also the bracket on the base of the header requires a little tweaking to fit.

From what I recall from what STYLSH was saying, the 1mz-fe ones not fitting is from the USDM ones.

Don't OBX just make replicas of real performance items? Hence why they are cheap?

dunno handome, but its good to see someone at least has experimented with them. More to the point mitch does your camry have led's around the front grille? I see it all the time out near toogoom and it blinds me at night haha :c

Well OBX items are manufactured in taiwan with cheaper materials, so you can expect quality (and quality control) to be crap. Thus one persons experience with them will be different to another since it's really luck of the draw if you get a good one or not

From what I recall from what STYLSH was saying, the 1mz-fe ones not fitting is from the USDM ones.

Well that's a bit ordinary then :blink:

dunno handome, but its good to see someone at least has experimented with them. More to the point mitch does your camry have led's around the front grille? I see it all the time out near toogoom and it blinds me at night haha :c

Nah, no LEDs on mine. Interesting though, as I tend to take note of most gen5s, and cant say I know that one, but then I don't tend to get around too much at night.

Well OBX items are manufactured in taiwan with cheaper materials, so you can expect quality (and quality control) to be crap. Thus one persons experience with them will be different to another since it's really luck of the draw if you get a good one or not

I can't speak about the cheaper materials bit but that's simply not true. Major manufacturers move their productions to China/India etc due to reduced labour costs but they still specify what quality control measures are in place as well as their manufacturing tolerances.

I know not a car but still applicable, all Giant Bicycles are manufactured in Taiwan. Despite this, they have sponsored (ie - their bikes are ridden by) 3 international teams and a number of national teams. It's not about where it is made, it is about how it is made, what it is made from and what their tolerances are.

I think you misunderstood me. Some major brands do outsource their production to countries with lower labour costs however their items are still expensive as shiet because they have good quality control measures in place. In regards to OBX and how they are able to keep their prices low, it's because they have a larger QC allowance range. That and they use inferior materials to cut costs. Greater variation in their product quality