Hey guys,

Been thinking long and hard about cars and have decided that whilst I'm at uni I will just keep my sportivo and have a bit of fun with her. I have had the idea of installing a Power FC and upgrading the valve springs and valves themselves. Along with this I would upgrade my gearbox to fix the issues I have with second gear, and whilst doing this install an LSD and possibly a lightweight flywheel. (Bit unsure about the necessity of a flywheel.)

One question I have is are the vavles and valve springs going to benefit the engine in allowing it to rev out a bit further than the current redline and is there anything I am missing that would help the engine better cope with a new ECU and revving out further??

I already have upgraded brakes, coilovers and about to purchase some federal rsr's to try them out. Have been planning this for a long time but now I am finally serious about doing this. I have a lot to learn about cars but I am more than willing considering it is something I enjoy.

Any advice on people to talk to, places to go, websites to visit for bits and pieces along with advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading :)

Your missing a turbo

Benifits of Na car are very minimal.

Huge Job just for valves.. You do know the head has to come off ?...

You want to rev it more? Gonna have to do your oil pump aswell..

As for your 2nd gear problem more than likely your clutch, not gear. And LSD are like 1200 bux just for the part. Already does 2 wheel burnouts :p

Not discouraging you..

Haha yea. Would love a turbo car but insurance would be a bit insane at my age (20 going on 21). I just wanna have some fun with my corolla. It does have a bit of potential as a na and considering its a 1.8 amazing on fuel for the power. I will be keeping it until I finish uni and have secured a job in what I want. So possibly 2-3 years.

Yea I realised the head has to come off but have been assured its something I could accomplish :p is there much that could go wrong in changing the valves and springs or just it's a big job? Is changing the oil pump a tough job?

Cheers for the words of advice

To remove the 2zz requires the timing chain cover to come off too, so that's all accessories. Basically you are stripping it to a short block. Not impossible to do int he car, but don't under estimate the task.

I'm very doubtful that the MWR, or any other, oil pump gears achieve anything. By reports I have read, the Circuitworx gears were junk and would break, some were just OEM gears with the part numbers removed. Think about what rpm you want to go to, then think about what it'll take to get there. Above 8800rpm you'll need new rods, above 8500rpm you'll want the valve train upgraded; unless you use aftermarket cams, then you'll have to upgrade regardless of redline.

Go turbo on 8PSI, and spend less in the long run and keep the safe 8200rpm redline.